3800 Moon Roof Not Working

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
So after some heavy crusin with the moon roof open I came to a stop, I parked the car, and closed the moon roof completely.

I get back into the car, about an hour later, and it won't open at all. :( Doesn't even make a sound. I checked the fuse and it seems to be just fine.

I'll be checking the actual button to see if there is anything wrong, but wanted to hear any comments from people who have experienced this before...

Thanks!

3800SC98

Regular
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
Originally posted by dole21+Apr 21 2005, 09:17 PM-->
any noises at all?
[snapback]80619[/snapback]​
[/b]

Nothing at all.

<!--QuoteBegin-burtgtp1973
@Apr 21 2005, 09:18 PM
i JUST went through this .. if you have already crossed out the actual sunroof motor and  the switch  try greasing the rails, mine was sliding super slow then wouldnt even open. i took it all apart and greased the rails and the gear on the motor too ...

hope this helps
[snapback]80620[/snapback]​

I took off the plastic piece that holds the lights and the button to open the sunroof, this evening. Didn't hear any noises at all. I double checked the fuse (fuse box in glove compartment #20) by using a spare fuse... nothing.

I'm afraid it might be the actual motor :( Although I didn't get a chance to take the switch apart. Not sure what to check on the actual switch to determine if that's the problem. Do they brake or something like that?

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
Originally posted by burtgtp1973@Apr 21 2005, 09:18 PM
i JUST went through this .. if you have already crossed out the actual sunroof motor and  the switch  try greasing the rails, mine was sliding super slow then wouldnt even open. i took it all apart and greased the rails and the gear on the motor too ...

hope this helps
[snapback]80620[/snapback]​
Mine's doing the same thing as yours was. I'm hoping it's not the motor, so I'm going to try your way first whenever it stops raining.

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
Well, i looked around before....the cheapest one I found was $110 bucks (used...came from a car that had 30k miles on it I think.) The most expensive was $350 bucks brand spanking new. What I'd do is look on clubgp or send Ed Morad an e-mail. He has a lot of gp parts laying around....he might have one. :)

And I think I should change my avatar. :lolsign:

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
:p
Originally posted by evastos@Apr 22 2005, 11:57 PM
Mines only opens up when its hot but other than that it opens about a 2/5 of the way. Was it eassy to take apart? If so I'll give it a try.
[snapback]80801[/snapback]​

its not that bad taking it apart .. you need to take off the sunvisors , both pillars , GENTLY pull the liner down other wise you can crease it and that wont look to good ...then there is 3 screw holding the motor to the gears ...drop the 3 screw and seperate the motor .. after you have it seperated hit the power switch to open the roof .. if the motor turns it probly is a simple greasing of the rails . there are 3or 4 star headed screw on each side of the sunroof .. be carefull they strip REALLLY easy .. take those out and off comes your roof .. after you get that off get you some grease and lube the crap out of everything that is mechanical physically slide the rail back and fort until you feel it getting easier to slide ..( be carefull when you slide towards the back of the car , it locks and kinda is a pain to ulock)

then get another set of hands to hold the motor up back in place ...hold it really tight .while that person is holding it really tight , hit the button to slide the rails if it slides you fixedit .. if it doesnt disreguard everything i just typed :p

Good luck ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info