3800 Pro-Fit Linear Fuel Doors - Interest?

All,

I came across a very interesting web site for a company who specializes in the production of custom linear fuel doors (see http://www.fueldoors.com). The mechanism replaces your factory OEM fuel door with a very high quality billet door assembly with an outer ring and center cap & latch assembly. To open, the center cap pops out and rotates up and out of the way to expose the fuel filler. The locking mechanism has three custom options: manual non-locking, manual locking, and full electric locking which uses a heavy duty automotive actuator which is triggered open via a small switch located in the passenger compartment and/or via a spare channel on an alarm or remote door locking system.

I inquired about having a custom fuel door made with the outer ring designed to match the "square-rounded" OEM shape of the GP fuel door. Unfortunately the company does not make "one-offs" for customer orders. Rather they advise you to have body work performed to make their circular fuel door fit your vehicle. The cost for them to do a specialty one-off job would be thousands for R&D, molding, fabrication of new parts, etc.

However, I sent an e-mail to PFYC and they may entertain the possibility of working with Pro-Fit to come up with a Grand Prix specific design if there was enough interest in the Grand Prix community. I think this would be an excellent idea. The GP has no factory lock for the fuel door, and many of us have purchased locking filler caps to offer protection from gas siphoning and vandal contamination (i.e. sugar in the gas tank, etc.). This might be a nice chance to get a limited production run of custom fit fuel doors for the Grand Prix.

Are any of you guys and gals interested? If I can tally up enough GP owners, PFYC may consider making and offering this product on their store website. Please check out the Pro-Fit website and see the attachment which shows the product on a Chevrolet Avalanche. Pricing seems to be anywhere from about $160-$400 depending on options such as locking mechanism (manual or electric), finish type, and custom engraving, etc. I for one will pay the $350-$400 for the full electric power door and maybe some of the options (no latch cap, painted finish, alternate bolt pattern, etc.).

Please e-mail me if interested at [email protected]. No obligations at this time. Just polling to see if there is enough serious interest to make this happen.

Also, since I am fairly new to the club postings, please pass this post onto any other site postings you may visit frequently. The more interest the better! Thanks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• B
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list