3800 Slandering on the internet

I

imported_Theautoguy

Slander, no, libel...maybe. Libel is the publication of a false statement, (and is not a privileged communication) which injures one's business or personal reputation. It is up to the "plaintiff" to prove such damage.

It is not libel if the statement is a true fact or an opinion, as in, "I think so-and-so is a crook." rather than, "So-and-so is a convicted pedifile." (where in fact so-and-so is not.)

A suit can be brought against the originator of the statement, those who pass it on, and/or the service provider or the administrator of the web site. I'm a little surprised no vendor hasn't gone after the administrators of ClubGP!

I love law, I'm finishing my MBA this year and looking to start the NIU School of Law the Fall of 06'. Hopefully in a few years I can charge for information like this.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Originally posted by Theautoguy@Feb 18 2005, 10:17 PM
Slander, no, libel...maybe. Libel is the publication of a false statement, (and is not a privileged communication) which injures one's business or personal reputation. It is up to the "plaintiff" to prove such damage.

[snapback]71992[/snapback]​

this is the key. Of the statement was untrue it still is not libel until it has HARMED the other individual. If it does not cause them any financial harm, or harm to reputation/person, then it isnt libel and can not be sued over.

the person making the statement MUST know that it isnt true, and must actively harm the individual whom they are speaking against.

With the intenet being a cess pool of false information it would be VERY VERY difficult to prove that a) the defendant knew that he was lying, and B) that any harm was done when the medium used is known for its lack of credibility.

the best example I can think of for a legitimate charge of lible would be someone going on a TV news show and actively accusing another person of a lie. Short of that or print it is very difficult to prove that the false xstatement actual caused harm to the plaintiff.

BC

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• staceyyearsich
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list