3800 need some exhaust work done.....

CheeseIsGood

Dec 26, 2008
hey,

first of all, screw the QTEC, i'm going with a mechanical one. and to be honest, this is less about performance as it is about pure intimidation (may sound like A$$ while open, but will be loud enough to get the message across).

i was wondering if anybody knew of a good place to get exhaust work done in the bloomington/normal area. or if anyone would be willing to do some welding for me at a club gathering sometime.
thanks.

~Nick

P.S. did we get rid of the forum of where to get work done?

CheeseIsGood

Dec 26, 2008
yeah, bolingrook is a little ways away for me and i don't know if i'll ever have time to make it up there.....besides i think i've got a guy who can do it in town. thanks for the offer though, i appreciate it.

another quick question....what size cuout should i get? i'm going to be putting it on at the end of the downpipe before the cat.

thanks.

~Nick

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by john99gtp@Feb 19 2005, 02:02 PM
i might be want a cut out soon also. hey cheese where you find a mechanical cut out? and ron what would you be asking to weld one in?

thanks john
[snapback]72039[/snapback]​
I'd say $75 sounds good. It's pretty hard to weld under the car, so the exhaust pretty much needs to come off. I'd check with Jim from James Dean muffler for a price first. He may be able to do it for about that, and he could do it quicker than me.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by CheeseIsGood@Feb 20 2005, 11:36 AM
another quick question....what size cuout should i get? i'm going to be putting it on at the end of the downpipe before the cat.
~Nick
[snapback]72099[/snapback]​
I'd say, even with a 3" DP all you would need is a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2". True; exhaust will take the path of least resistance, but it will be able to flow into the exhaust as well as the cutout, so it doesn't need to be full diameter to be effective. I'm not saying you shouldn't go with the 3" cutout, but it gives you more mounting options with the smaller sizes.

CheeseIsGood

Dec 26, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel+Feb 20 2005, 02:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CheeseIsGood
@Feb 20 2005, 11:36 AM
~Nick
[snapback]72099[/snapback]​
I'd say, even with a 3" DP all you would need is a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2". True; exhaust will take the path of least resistance, but it will be able to flow into the exhaust as well as the cutout, so it doesn't need to be full diameter to be effective. I'm not saying you shouldn't go with the 3" cutout, but it gives you more mounting options with the smaller sizes.
[snapback]72119[/snapback]​
[/b]

i meant what is the size of our exhaust right there? so i know how big of a pipe to weld in.

thanks

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by 00gtp83@Mar 1 2005, 03:56 PM
i dont know of any places down there in bloomington but there is a good place in streator where we take all are cars to get exhaust work done, i have prolly had 6 or 7  friends take there car there and havent heard a complaint yet if you wanted to go that route
[snapback]73459[/snapback]​

where you from? i'm in morris which is realitvely close to streator..I know a few guys from the seneca ottawa area.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
I got a pretty nice set up that works well in its given location right after in the TOG DP.
Well besides the Q-teck butterfly screws loosening often. I have a solution for that. They Q-tecks arent as bad as portrayed. So far its required monthly maintenance. I take it off and clean/check it and resecure the butterfly screws. Im going with longer screws and installing them so they go all the way through and double nutting the ends. This is just te phyisics of heat and metal.
Unavoidable.
Having the dump is worth the extra maintenence wich in my opinion you'll be doing with any dump set up. So far the motor setup hasnst showed any signs of failure nor seat warpage/leakage as originally thought.

If you want to take a look at my set up your welcome. It came out well and ive been testing/running it for awhile with no ground clearanced effected.

I fabricatted the 3" OD dump and DP from scratch. Keep in mind that pre-fabbed Y-dumps wont fit directly in any of the locations Ive seen without effecting ground clearence.
All of the manual dumps ive seen only go up to 2-2.25". Q-techs up too 3". Personally. Id rather have a cable type operation. Its faster and more reliable. however the big cast Y-pipes are cumbersome and still have compatability probs.

Lastly. Dont expect to just put it on and forgetabout it. Well not at first. Their is alot of factors to consider when dealing with exhausts..I carry acouple wing nuts and a gasket and manual cap in my glove box in case. For contigency. I do believe that my once I solve the butterfly prob im done. Ive thought of a vaccum/boost control operated dump valve but well see.
I dont have any pics now but you and Ron are welcome to come by and we could make a day of it. Ive got some stuff for Ron and he can help me with some of my PCM issues aswell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info