3800 Brake flush suggestions

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
How much brake fluid does our car have? I don't wanna be caught short in the middle of flushing my brake system. Should I stick with DOT3 or move up to DOT4?

What brake pads do you guys recommend that will last a long time? What rotors?

I don't want anything fancy or expensive....I'm on a tight budget and I need new everything. With how bad they're getting, any new brakes would be great.

Lastly, what are the machine-to specs for the rotors? Whats the minimum thickness for both front and rear?

Thanks,
James

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
i get discounts at napa, lees, and carquest. if you want to give me a call sometime i can meet you at one of them and get your parts cheaper.

pads are lifetime warranty for most- i usually go with ceramix because they seem to create less brake dust. rotors are a waste of time to machine because you can get them for like 20 bucks a pop new.
dot 3 will be plenty good enough, dot 4 is really only for more extreme autocross racing conditions- and if i recall correctly it can foam up pretty easily depending on what system you put it in (some abs systems, though that may be dot5 im thinking of)
630-776-5315. call me friday after noon.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I just did a flush, it took one big bottle. I bought an extra small bottle just in case but didn't need it. Just start from the brake farthest from the master cylider fist, and work around the car until you get to the closest one...and don't let the master clyinder run dry!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Originally posted by xttc2000@Jan 19 2005, 08:33 PM
i get discounts at napa, lees, and carquest. if you want to give me a call sometime i can meet you at one of them and get your parts cheaper.

pads are lifetime warranty for most- i usually go with ceramix because they seem to create less brake dust. rotors are a waste of time to machine because you can get them for like 20 bucks a pop new.
dot 3 will be plenty good enough, dot 4 is really only for more extreme autocross racing conditions- and if i recall correctly it can foam up pretty easily depending on what system you put it in (some abs systems, though that may be dot5 im thinking of) 
630-776-5315. call me friday after noon.
[snapback]68168[/snapback]​

Can you hook me up with rear pads for a 99 grand am, and a fuel filter?

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Any particular brand of ceramic pads? How much am I looking to pay for a big bottle of DOT3, 2 front rotors, 2 back, and ceramic pads on all 4 corners? The cheaper the better.

xttc=steve, correct? Would it be cheaper to go online, or is napa/lee/carquest cheaper?

And cacicgtp7, how is the AFROTC going for you? I was accepted into NROTC and I may or may not join it at IIT for M.E...not sure yet.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Jan 20 2005, 08:58 AM
Any particular brand of ceramic pads?  How much am I looking to pay for a big bottle of DOT3, 2 front rotors, 2 back, and ceramic pads on all 4 corners?  The cheaper the better.

xttc=steve, correct?  Would it be cheaper to go online, or is napa/lee/carquest cheaper?

And cacicgtp7, how is the AFROTC going for you?  I was accepted into NROTC and I may or may not join it at IIT for M.E...not sure yet.
[snapback]68213[/snapback]​

afrotc is going great, and i honestly love it, but i'm really into the military and will probably make a career out of it. Congrats on the navy, they have some great programs and if you go into it you'll have a lot of options regardless.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Jan 20 2005, 12:34 PM
rotors for 20?.mine are always a lot more.

cheaper rotors warp more.
[snapback]68237[/snapback]​
Yeah, I don't know about that...

When I did my brakes, I got a set of 4 drilled/slotted rotors for $210 (I think it was about $245 shipped). Which consisted of Brembo rotors for stock size that were drilled/slotted, then plated. Took about a month to get them ,but quality was excellent. I can't tell you if it actually improved the brakes, mine were completely shot. I was grinding on 2 rotors, and in 5 years I had never flushed the sytem or added to it once. So yeah, it feels great and they stop better, but that's all I have to compare it to. It looks very nice with the red calipers now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info