3800 Salvage Title....

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
i was wondering if anyone knows about titling a vehichle in illinois that currently has a salvage title. the vehichle is from PA. but was sold to a person in Michigan .. the reason for the salvage title is from the hurricane's.. there is NO physical damage to the truck . the guy said water had gotten inside the motor and messed up connecting rod which has all been fixed

anyways botton line is its a 2004 Extended Cab Dakota Sport with 2400 miles . the guy wants 12K for it . it books out pretty strong . with the exception of the salvage title .. but it looks runs and drives like a brand new truck . which it is ... anyone have any ideas .. this is a new one for me .

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
not sure how IL works w/that... but 12k seems steep to me for a salvage titled car... there had to have been more wrong than just the engine... for a salvage title that means the car was considered totalled by insurance right? (repairs = 75% of vehicle value)

I'd be leary of mold growing under the carpet or of hidden rust...

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
How did a vehicle from PA get sold to Mich and end up in a hurricane? Remember too, if it was flooded by water then it got into every fuse box, sensor and all other electrical junctions. Things that don't show up right away either.
I don't think its a big deal to title it as salvage you just have to declare it.

evastos

Regular
Sep 1, 2008
Chicago
Yeah I've heard horrible things about people who buy salvaged cars. Your might have tons of problems in the future. The right way to buy a salvaged car is to get it dirt cheap rebuild the engine(depending on the situation), replace the interior and replace the entire elctrical system. Expensive but well worth it if the price is right. :D

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Here is the link to the vehichle ..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4517986133

i talked to the bank about it and my banker seems to think even if it needed a new motor (which it doesnt) that i would still be ok price wise ..04' 4x4 with 2400 has a pretty strong book . the interior or electrical system never got wet .

the truck was in PA at the time of the hurricane .. then was sold to the person in MI .

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
But... even when you go trade the car in or sell it to someone else it will always have the salvaged title along with the other title it will get documented on there so peeps will be leary of giving the right amount of money for it....... Theres prolly more to the store than what there saying on ebay...

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Originally posted by horist+Jan 10 2005, 11:54 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-staceyyearsich
@Jan 10 2005, 11:09 AM
  Theres prolly more to the store than what there saying on ebay...
[snapback]67030[/snapback]​

There's gotta be... if the only problem was the engine got water in it... engine with labor is maybe 8-9k max? That shouldn't be enough to total the car out...
[snapback]67045[/snapback]​
[/b]

i just spoke to the guy selling the truck and asked why the truck was deemed salvage after only doing motor work . he explained that the WHOLE dealership was damaged so everything on the lot even the buiding was considered junk thus the reasoning for the salvage title .. this was a new car delaership

my question is still this ... can i title something with a salvage title in Illinois ? arent the titles rebuildable ?

F

fastcash

in illiois you need to have proof that the totallity was fixed. in your case the motor being rebuilt. and you have to have the car inspected. work with a shop you are friendly with to work out the kiks with them. it's not rebuilding the title, it's like starting from scratch once that is done.

evastos

Regular
Sep 1, 2008
Chicago
just spoke to the guy selling the truck and asked why the truck was deemed salvage after only doing motor work . he explained that the WHOLE dealership was damaged so everything on the lot even the buiding was considered junk thus the reasoning for the salvage title .. this was a new car delaership

Come on your goanna trust a coniving dealer. <_< Who really knows what happened to the car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info