3800 low voltage when at a light..mostly when cold.

• Thread starter imported_GraFFix
  • Start date
I

imported_GraFFix

ok since the weather has been cold out ive been noticing that when i stop at a light the lights inside the car and on the dash dim..the heater fan slows down. so i was checking voltage with the scanmaster...if i give the gar a little throttle it will jump up to 13.6-14.0 if im driving it usually stays around 13.8 or so. but when i stop and the car is under load it might go as low at 11.0 lol thats when the dimming happens. sometimes if almost feels like the cars about to die out.

I was thinking of replacing the coil packs and the alternator...since ive never replaced either of them and the car is a 97. should i just get a stock alternator or should i maybe get a high amp one? I believe the stock one is 105 amp then they sell the impala one thats 125 amps then on ebay they have a H/O one thats 160 amps?

the coils i know everyone says to just stick with stock but i might be able to get a deal on accell coils..either way ill be getting new ones. I also have mikes (superchargedgp) alternator rewire thingy that i will be putting on.

anything else i might want to look into to keep the volts up in the car? im not running a system or anything. but i do have the upgraded headlight harness and i also have HID's hooked to that...dont know how much extra power that draws?

suggestions? anyone got a part number for a H/O alternator or the impalla one that i could getr locally without ordering online?

thanks

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Mine does that too. Usually when the car warms up, its fine though. It did it last winter to me as well and ran through the summer with no problems.

Put on the alternator rewire thing you got from mike and see if that helps. Also, doesnt hurt to replace your alternator either. Since its stock, Im suprised it lasted that long.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list