3800 Heating Problems...

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Well since this past Monday everytime I drive my car and have the heat/defroster on my car has a "burning" smell that comes from it. The smell has kind of increased over the last few days, but I have had no problems with the engine warming up and producing heat. This morning I drove my car and the same smell occured, but this time my engine didnt warm up at all on my way to work (20+ miles and over a 45 minute drive) I have a 180 thermostat in the car, but even when we had the freezing weather out a while back my car would warm up with no problem. This morning it was like the heat wouldnt even get warm either.

I do not know what the smell is from, but could there be a chance that maybe my thermostat is frozen open? I know that would prevent the car from heating up and thusforth not producing heat. I just dont understand what the smell is from? I changed out all of my radiator fluid in the fall and nothing looks abnormal with that? I think tonight I am going to put in a new stock thermostat and just see if that makes any difference...

Any other suggestions? Maybe I am just looking in the wrong direction? Any suggestions would be helpful...

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
by bleeding it ..

on the thermo housing.. you will see a screw sticking out.. just open it while the car is runnig and has reached operating temps (the thermo has opened ).. You will hear air escaping out.. do this until you start to leak fluid.. once fluid starts to come out tighten the screw back up..now your system should be bled..

Careful because the fluid can get super hot.. would not want you to burn yourself..LOL!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• R
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list