3800 [Rant!!! If you want it done right, do it yourself

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
OK.....its about time for a rant....at the risk of souding childish. I have let these little things slide about this system long enough. And feel that its best for anyone looking to do a custom turbo system....to stay as far away from SSP Automotive as possible. They will tell you how..they have put together a ton of systems. They are proffesionals...and work with their customers. That all of there business is repeat business.......well not from me <_< . Here is my list of problems:

1. Downpipe is rubbing on rear head, causing it to cut a slit in the downpipe and tearing up my nice ceramic coating.

2. Downpipe has more bends than a formula track. Im not talking about needed bends either. It looks like the went happy happy joy joy with their crappy pipe bender. There are just odd bends that are entirely un-neccessary.

3. They used oil line that was two small for the drain. They used a -8 AN drain line. This is about .44" diameter. Well for people who dont know, after the oil goes through the turbo, it comes out completely whipped and flows very slowly. If you dont use a hose big enough then it will cause excess pressure. This excess pressure will cause oil to blowby the seals and into the turbine housing causing a white smoke to pour out of your exhaust. Yes.....there is a ton of white smoke that pours out of my exhaust. Recommended oil drain line is -12 AN. Lets not mention the fact that they used a 90* fitting from the turbo, which causes even worse flow for the foamy oil.

4. They dont even know how a turbo flows. They informed me that my compressor was a "reverse flow compressor". Apparently most turbos are designed to decompress air :rolleyes:

5. Their idea of pipe trasitions is to take several pipe sizes....IE 2.5"...2.75"....3" and weld them together....instead of using the transition i bought and provided for them.

6. Nothing is their fault......IE...apparently my spark plug boots needed replaced on two of the back cylinders. Apparently they were just falling appart. So they put on new 90* boots for me. Well...i never had a problem with them falling apart....but ok. When I got home later...i had some extra stock wires in my garage. So I was going to use those instead of the 90* wires they concocted... NOPE...CANT DO THAT. Why...because when the designed the rear manifold....they didnt leave room for the straight spark plug boots to fit...so they had to install 90* boots.

7. Back to my downpipe.....did you know my downpipe was about 16 ft long when they were done. Yea...they decided it would be best to run the downpipe down....get rid of my cat (which i OKed) then get rid of my resonator (which i was unaware of till i showed up) then weld the pipe the rest of the exhaust. So I had one long pipe from the turbo to the exhaust tips...with now flanges installed. So I had to cut the pipe below the car in order to ship it. Which means...right now...my dp can only be removed if the rest of the turbo system is removed. :unsure: . But dont worry....imsure the rear head will eventually cut the downpipe in half for me. :rolleyes:

8. Guess how my rear manifold connects top my y pipe....its just simply slid into it. Thats it....the clamp they provided does nothing...at all.

9. When they made my rear manifold, they warped my rear manifold flange. So i had an exhaust leak for a month.....until I had it grounded down.

10. When I picked up the car...they had turned it on and had been powerbraking it to see if it boosted. Well...it did...but apparently i was detonating at 1 lb of boost. They were completely convinced i was detonating. Well when i got the car home, i did a spark plug swap to 104s....had 605s in. Well there was the problem...they cracked 2 of my rear spark plugs...two...how did they not notice it or see it.... :rolleyes:

Now i will give them a slight benefit of the doubt. I only gave them a week to put this kit together. But this was after they said they could do it in a week. They siad...it would be tight but they can do it. So I got a verbal quote of ~ $1400 for this job. By the time they were done it cost me $2500......what am i suppose to do. Had i known they were going to charge this much....i would have never taken it to them. I would have learned to weld and done it myself. They shoot past it by over a grand.....all because i didnt get a written quote. But apparently...they were "helping" me out. They were charging me for all the labor. So after I provided everything...except some of the piping and oiling.....after I told them I didnt have a lot of money to dump on this.....after garaunteeing me they would help me out...and work with me.....they charged me $2500..... Well in comes my awesome dad...and helps me pay for it. Which I am still paying off to him right now.

So I am stuck with a slowly degrading system, that cost me the price of a pre-built turbo system.....and will keep sucking money from me.

With any luck...ill be able to rebuild my system...myself....the right way.

So....run...run as far away from SSP as possible. (sorry to who-evers dad works there...but none of this is false)

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Thanx guys.

I had been buying parts to put this kit together for a couple months. They summer got hectic, and parts took a long time to get to me. Originally sweetness and I were going to fabricate everything. But I ran out of time over the summer, and wanted it on before the school year started. Talked to SSP got the $1400 quote with my car in their hands....so they could check it over and everything.

If they would have stuck with the quote, I would have had this kit done for more than $500 less than any other kit avialable. Not to mention the wealth of knowledge that comes with doing your own custom work.

If you do all the fabricating yourslef, its not hard to make a kit for $2000ish. Thats $1000 less than any other kit. This is why I went custom.

Fish....you should have mentioned something to me when i and sweetness kept asking for SSPs number and contact info....oh well....live and learn....then get luvs.

See....and salespeople/businessmen get annoyed when I ask for everything in writing. This is precisely why! Garbage like this happens all the time.

I'm still with Fish on this one. Warranty or not, they took on a job that they claimed they were competent enough to do. They didn't complete the job satisfactorily. I'd demand they make it right out of their OWN pockets, before you contact the BBB, and take them to court. At this point, what do you have to loose?

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Honestly I dont think they can competently do the job. Not after witnessing what has occured. I am going to write them a letter, expressing my mood and the 10 things I listed.....along with some other items...which I didnt list. I may have to throw a small threat in with it about the BBB or something. Ill have to figure something out. But really...what are the chances of any help occuring?

That's my point: They CLAIMED to be competent of a job, but obviously, they were not. At the very least, they should comp you some of your money to allow you to undo their damage on your own. If the threat is put correctly, you'd be amazed at how persuasive it can be. But don't use "bad ass", loud mouth type threats like "I'm going to get a lawyer and sue the pants off you". List your complaints as you said, with something simple, and professional at the end, like "please contact me to remedy this situation as quickly as possible. If this letter is to no avail, I will be forced to involve a third party. I would prefer to avoid this situation as much as you. I'm sure we can reach a satisfactory resolution without the need for this. I hope to hear from you soon." It sounds a lot more serious, and even a moronic businessman knows what "third party" means. ;) If you can, send the letter registered, too. Another tactic to make it seem like you're serious about this, as it will look like you're gathering proof/records that they were sent a warning, in case you need to proceed with any legal action in the feature. Good luck! If you need help with the letter, let me know. I'm kinda' strapped for time right now, but I'll try to squeeze something in for ya'. I just hate seeing this type of crap!

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
Originally posted by jk99gtp+Nov 28 2004, 08:26 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@Nov 28 2004, 08:25 PM
I think its Street/Strip performance. And yes, it is in addison.
[snapback]61559[/snapback]​

Fish,

Where in Addison are they located? Did they use to be called Street Stuff? Or is this a different place altogether..
[snapback]61560[/snapback]​
[/b]

This is not Street Stuff FYI ...

STreet Stuff Location:
633 S Addison Rd
Addison, IL

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
Dude that sucks. At least with all the major work done now you can do patch repairs if you chose. Cuts out bad patches and reweld. Or make them do it. :D If you need any help let me know.

I questioned their ability when you told me about the reverse flow turbo. DEFINITELY scared me. Hopefully you can get this thing all worked out. let me know if I can do anything.

BC

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
I questioned their ability when you told me about the reverse flow turbo. DEFINITELY scared me

Too bad it was too late by then.

Thanx for the help offer. I actually dont even want to use any of their work when i re-do it. I will use the rear manifold flange and thats it. The rest of it looks to have horrible flow. The best part is the ported factory manifold on the front :p .

It will be redone eventually, by me, and done right. Till then, ill live and learn. Im in the process of collecting pictures to send with my letter. This is on a good day:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info