3800 When you loosen your fuel rail....dont forget it!!

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
So I was pieceing my car back together tonight when a friend stopped over. So I do my best to move along and get everything finished so we could go out for a drive. Get done, make sure everything is tight, all the sensors plugged in and the vacuum lines tight. Everything looks good. Start up the car and it acts a little funny, i rev it up and it holds the rev and then drops back down. After a couple seconds everything evens out and it idles a bit rough. Figured my pcm needed to re-learn so i would take it for a quick drive and see how it felt. After a minute or two, i decide im going to boost a little and see how she sounds. No problem at first, then all of a sudden the car dies. Just nice a smoothly the rpms drop and she dies, as im cruising down a hill, i decided to turn off on a side street without out power steering. Then i put it in nuetral, while rolling, turn the key and she starts back up. All of a sudden my friend says "Do you smell that...oh shit shut the car off". Yea the car reaked of fuel. Pop the hood and there was fuel everywhere below the back rail. Called a bunch of friends, then the school help line, then the cops and finally a taxi. No one would give us a ride....asses. Get home, and it hit me that I had loosened the bolts on the fuel rail, and when I boosted it popped my fuel injectors out...

So what could have been a very bad night, turned out ok. Good news is, i fixed it in like 2 minutes, soaked the area with water, and took her for a cruise. Now, I need to let the tuning begin... :D

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
RUle of thimb.

When removing fuel rails.

Check all o rings for wear and brittleness.

I alwyas have an extra set of o-rings laying around..

I remember running to a dealer at 12:00 am by charles (dhp) house because one of my 0-rings sprung a leak..cheak pices of shite.. :)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Had that happen too. Put some vasoline on the o-rings prior to instulation to prevent that. If you can find those for .50 tell me where! The dealer wanted $60 for a set specific for GTP. The dealer had a universal set however for $20...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I checked NAPA by me when I needed them, and they said they don't carry them. Could have been a bonehead that didn't know who I talked to though. After buying the universal set, I'm going to be OK for a while. Got a bunch of extras now, and they're the nice blue Viton ones. Oh well.

kazoo

Regular
Dec 16, 2008
East Peoria
Go into any parts store and tell them you want a set for an LS1. I think they are the same size. I think I payed $10 for a set of 12 or 16. If you need I can get the part number for you later. I still have the box at home.

I actually change them out every time I pull the injectors. They are sheap enough to replace them everytime. I usually put a little engine oil on them when I install them back on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info