3800 I messed up real bad

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

So I'm swapping in new rockers. At the same time swapping springs and new valve guide seals. I hooked up the air compressor to the spark plug hole, and my rigged up tool didn't work to esily remove the retainer. So I made a new tool, modifying a pry bar, drilled a hole to use an old rocker bolt. Finished making the toll, and tried it on the first intake valve..and it worked great. Now big problem. I unplugged the compressor while I was making the tool...of course, the freakin intake valve drops out of the guide into the cylinder. FOOOOOOK!
I'm going to try going in the exhaust port to grab the valve, but if it works it's going to be a 1000 to 1 shot. Wish me luck, I really don't feel like pulling the head.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by xttc2000@Oct 1 2004, 10:05 PM
if you can get a peice of rubber vacuum hose up to the valve guide and some really strong suction you may be able to suck up the stem into the rubber line and grab it.

otherwise good luck
I like that Idea. I may try that first. I've pulled off the exhaust manifold and I'm going to drop the exhaust valve to acces the intake. It should be easier to get the ex valve in with the easy access. I made a curvy screwdriver to move the intake valve into position.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Got it...Took 3 hours, but I got it. Had to remove the ex. mani, remove the retainer and spring for the ex valve. Then I put an o-ring on the keeper groove to prevent the ex. valve from dropping in. Got an led light in the ex. port, and used a curved screwdriver in the spark plug hole to manuver the dropped valve (veiwing it through the valve guide) into position as I turned the crank. It wasn't easy...But it was better than pulling the head.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info