3800 IC Pumps to fast?

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Long story short: Came home from camp ZZP and my Johnson IC pump dies. Borrowed Ron Vogels Harbor Frieght (loud a$$) pump.

So during my commute this morning I noticed odd numbers on my scan. I leave the garage with a smile because my IC is operational again - thanks to Ron for letting me borrow the pump. I gun the pedal now and then and see 0KR (2.8pulley). Cool! But when I get to close to work (about 1 hour later), I start to see KR - up to 4-5 degrees. What the heck?

With the Johnson pump, which is smaller and flows less, I did not have KR. With the Frieght Harbor pump - flows hella' lot more just from looking at it - I got KR. So my initial off the cuff theory would be that a fast flowing pump is too fast for the ZZP core/radiator combo. It ran well for the first 1 hour, but it could not cool sufficiently due to high flow rate.

Opinions and insights welcome.

J.E.T.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yup, speed kills. Uhh, let me rephrase that...Slow flow kills KR. That's why I'm on my third pump. Think of the heat as baseballs and the water in the pump as baseball gloves on a conveyor...(this is a stretch!!!) You want the water to catch as many baseballs during a WOT run as it can, and lose them in the front exhanger. If the system runs too fast, it won't catch as many balls or dump them at the exchanger. So heat gets past the IC core, and the heat that is grabbed just re-circulates right back. You would have really enjoyed the 20 GPM pump I have too. My IC water temps would just get hotter until the car was cooled down. The HF pump flows roughly 4-5 GPM. So the water recirculates every 8-10 seconds or so. You may not even get the car out of 1st until heated water is re-entering the core!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Interesting read. This is the pump I am running also (It's indestructable btw). I'm running just the intercooler, 3.0, 2.5" downpipe, DHP, and a FWI and I'm getting no knock... well... .26 blips at the top of 3rd, but I won't complain since the motor is stock and the exhaust is stock after the DP.

Of more importance, I'm running 5/8ths inch hose as well as fittings. If you want to slow the effective speed of the water you can get larger lines. This will slow down the speed of the coolant as well as raising the capacity.

A couple notes regarding the pump:

* Install a potentiometer if you want to slow it down. I've been meaning to do this for awhile so I can get the IC pump flow in it's "sweet spot" so that I can add some more timing.

* As noted above, try usingt the largest lines you can. I'm bumping the whole system up to 3/4ths inch ID.

Jet, how do you have the HF pump mounted? I have it directly behind the arrowhead on the bumper, sitting on the foam and it's silent for me. It's generally loud on startup but then quiets down in seconds. Are you sure it's not touching any part of the frame?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Mike K@Sep 27 2004, 10:41 AM
Interesting read. This is the pump I am running also (It's indestructable btw). I'm running just the intercooler, 3.0, 2.5" downpipe, DHP, and a FWI and I'm getting no knock... well... .26 blips at the top of 3rd, but I won't complain since the motor is stock and the exhaust is stock after the DP.

Of more importance, I'm running 5/8ths inch hose as well as fittings. If you want to slow the effective speed of the water you can get larger lines. This will slow down the speed of the coolant as well as raising the capacity.

A couple notes regarding the pump:

* Install a potentiometer if you want to slow it down. I've been meaning to do this for awhile so I can get the IC pump flow in it's "sweet spot" so that I can add some more timing.

* As noted above, try usingt the largest lines you can. I'm bumping the whole system up to 3/4ths inch ID.

Jet, how do you have the HF pump mounted? I have it directly behind the arrowhead on the bumper, sitting on the foam and it's silent for me. It's generally loud on startup but then quiets down in seconds. Are you sure it's not touching any part of the frame?
Mike,
Using a pot isn't going to work on the pump, too high of amps going through; it'll prolly burn up. What a lot of people have done is use a balast resistor inline to drop the volts down. This could work on a 2 position relay as a hi/low switch.

I think that the HF pump has a large tolerance difference, hense that particular pump being loud. I had it mounted to an angle iron with well nuts, and the angle iron mounted to the rad support with well nuts. It should have been completely isolated from the body, but it was still loud.

Also, He may have a higher flow with his set-up than yours. I can say however, my Johnson pump is much slower than it. In my case I didn't see much of a difference in KR between pumps other than my 20GPM pump.

I'm also going to a 3/4" line, unless I come up with a decent mounting solution for an additional resivoiur to add capacity to the system. I can get the heat out of the core fine, and the speed works well. I need the heated water to spend more time in the rad though. I'd like a 2 gallon system, and right now it'll only hold 1 gallon.

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
yea flow does kill IC performance.
the best aplication for that pump would be to run a cool can from the back, that would be about the right speed.

another example of why it works this way:
walking over hot coals: you walk fast across them and you wont get burned, you slow down and you get burned. the longer you stay on the coals the more heat your feet absorb.

has anyone tried less than a 2GPM pump?

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
J/O - what model number is that 2.8GPM pump? I need it. The flojet I ordered will not be right for my setup since it flows 5GPM.

Mike - I crammed foam all around the pump and its still loud. I kinda' like it though - at least I know it's working. I'm not keeping the pump anyway. It's only a temp till my flojet arrives.

I'd like to just buy another Johnson, but it failed me once. It will more than likely fail again. It lasted a whole 5K miles! Here is the specs straight from Johnsons site:
C090P5-1 12V

What bothers me is that it says the pump is made for freshwater circulation. It doesnt say anything about other types of liquid. At least the HF pump says general purpose.

Ugh - need sleep.

J.E.T.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info