3800 suspension help (I think)

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
A couple of weeks ago I had the front hub bearings replaced, and as soon as I picked up the car I heard a popping or binding type noise coming from the passenger side. Mechanic took it back re-replaced passenger side bearing, kept it for another day and a half testing it, and then told me the noise was caused by the strut mount being torn and the strut binding. Okay, good excuse for the GMPP upgrade. Installed the front strut/spring assemblies, and there is still a very noticable noise, especially when turning left, or off-camber right. I can bounce the front of the car without any noise. Any ideas what this might be? Sometimes feel a very slight "tick" in the steering wheel when the noise is loudest, but other than that it's just noise. Also seems to cause false KR. Took it out WOT last night and it was fine up until about 80mph than I got very noticeable timing reduction. other than that engine rums perfectly. HELP!

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by serotta@Sep 24 2004, 09:17 AM
A couple of weeks ago I had the front hub bearings replaced, and as soon as I picked up the car I heard a popping or binding type noise coming from the passenger side. Mechanic took it back re-replaced passenger side bearing, kept it for another day and a half testing it, and then told me the noise was caused by the strut mount being torn and the strut binding. Okay, good excuse for the GMPP upgrade. Installed the front strut/spring assemblies, and there is still a very noticable noise, especially when turning left, or off-camber right. I can bounce the front of the car without any noise. Any ideas what this might be? Sometimes feel a very slight "tick" in the steering wheel when the noise is loudest, but other than that it's just noise. Also seems to cause false KR. Took it out WOT last night and it was fine up until about 80mph than I got very noticeable timing reduction. other than that engine rums perfectly. HELP!
if you feel a tick and makes noises when you turn its your diff taking a shit

mine did the same thing and this was the outcome of it

serotta

Jun 21, 2008
Originally posted by superchargedgp@Sep 24 2004, 10:39 AM

if you feel a tick and makes noises when you turn its your diff taking a shit

mine did the same thing and this was the outcome of it
Wow, I sure hope that's not it :eek:

It isn't predictable at all. I can turn the wheel lock to lock and it won't make any noise, but applying a side load while turning is the easiest way to induce it. The tick that is felt is almost like hitting a rock or something.

Alex, checked the one end link, but haven't checked the swaybar. It's tough finding anything when the car is up. Haven't aligned it yet, the rears go on tomorrow, then I'll get it aligned later in the week. Can you recommend a good suspension place in the western suburbs?

Thanks for your help guys.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list