3800 The TGP has gone in for surgery

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Well....towed the red TGP, which I haven't touched since I bought it, into work a couple of days ago. My boss is going to let me use the huge overhead garage space to work on it. I don't even know where to start. Every single sensor is going to be changed, the FPR, the injectors will be cleaned/balance flowed, it's going to get a 3" exhaust all the way through, the Jeff M 160 Top Gun chip, custom x-over pipe (to make up for GM's sorry ass excuse of one), the gas tank will be dropped and cleaned, new Walbro fuel pump (though I'm debating on this, since the stock one is the same as the 'Vettes from that era, and are said to be more than efficient enough), new fuel filter, KYBs all around, brakes upgrade to the '94-'96 style + slotted, the interior will be completely ripped out to make way for that dark gray one I got locked in the yard for :angry: , and I'm sure I'm forgeting a bunch more. I'm also painting the crosslace wheels gun-metal gray, with gun metal accents throughout the car. I'll be touching up various things under the hood as well (polished plenum and valves, painting certain rough/rusted pieces, etc.). Problem is, I'm moving at the end of this month, so I'm most likely going to be busy till the end of this month. That gives me 2 months to get what I can done with the car, because we're moving the store to a different location in December, so I won't have the garage anymore. :( So much work, so little time. I'll have to rent on or something when that time comes.

I'll also need some advice throughout this project to get it done right, i.e. good welder (for the crossover flex joints), painter, etc. So any help would be greatly appreciated in that department when the time comes! I want this thing running 13's easy next summer.

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Thank you, sir. I wish Jeff M would hurry up and release the bigger turbo/injectors/chip package. This would be a great oppurtunity to add all that on. He's pulling 5 flat 0-60, and 13.3 quarters with that alone (no internal work), and 12's with a few other mods added to that mix (internally). :mellow: He supposedly has a 450 hp test mule. :eek:

Congratulations on your project. Everything running smoothely? Did you ever get those badges done up? If so, I'd like to see what the finished version looks like. :)

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Sep 16 2004, 11:26 AM
So how do performance parts prices for that year compare with the newer grand prix? 

TURBOS RULE :p
Yeah they do. I never really gave turbos much thought till I bought the TSTE. Now I'm hooked :mellow:

Glad to see everything is up and running on yours. So when do the numbers come? :D I'm curious to see what that sucker will do. How much boost is it pushing out right now?

As for performance parts for the McLaren GPs....well, here's the problem. With only a grand total of just over 5,000 2 door TGPs being built between '89 and '90, and only 1,000 4-door TSTEs in '90 only, there really isn't an aftermarket for these cars. Countless numbers of them have been junked by now. I've seen quite a few in yards around here, alone. :( I took one apart myself a couple of years ago when I didn't really know/care about them to use the complete engine for one of my 6000 STE AWDs. I've been sorry I did that ever since. That poor TGP. It coulda' been saved. :banghead: So, moral of the story, I doubt there are too many in existence anymore.

That being said, Jeff M (from J & M Auto Studios) is the only one I know of that makes TGP specific parts in...."mass production"....if you want to call it that. He's got 2 TGPs, and one TSTE, I believe. He also has an 11 second Syclone. He has a replacement for that sorry crossover pipe I mentioned. MUCH, MUCH better (never heard of one breaking since he started making them years ago). But...at $425 a piece, plus a core, it's still far from cheap, even though it beats the crap out of GM and their $1,500 price tag for a part guaranteed to break in a year or less. So that will help get things running correctly to begin with, 'cause a crossover pipe is kiiiinda' important on a turbocharged engine. :mellow: If I can find T-409 SS flex joint bellows, I'd be set (just get a welder too cut off the old joints, and TIG weld the new ones), but I haven't been able to come across those. The best I've been able to find are the T-304s, so I may give those a shot.

He also has several different stage chips, of which, the best currently is the Top Gun 160 chip (I *think* this was a little Tom Cruise inside joke, because he was in Days of Thunder, and so was the TGP....as the pace car.... :) ). It kicks the fans on at 160* (also requires a 160* T-stat and K & N filter), and takes the stock 7 psi of boost with a 9.5 psi cut off, to 11 and 13, respectively. On top of peeking much higher, it holds the power band up there longer. BIG improvement for these cars. By far, the best money you can spend on them because the stock chip was another major issue with these, as GM gave McLaren 2 weeks to program it, so it's full of flaws, and VERY conservative on power. :rolleyes: Those are $275 from Jeff.

After that, we wait and see. I know he has a tranny package coming soon that will be $1,000 shipped, and will contain EVERYTHING needed for a rebuild, with the capability to handle some SERIOUS hp increases. It even comes with instructions on how to do it (for the tranny guys that keep screwing up all the TGP owners' rebuilds; LOTS of horror stories on those). Then, hopefully, will come that bigger turbo/injector/chip package I mentioned, along with the possible heads, cams, and some miscellaneous upgrades. The turbo is the big deal. The prototype had a bigger one, along with a different intercooler and other one-offs, and was cranking out 305 hp with a 14 second flat 1/4 time. :eek: Of course, for the production, they went with the Garrett T-25, which is WAY too small for this motor. The problem is, they made upgrading difficult due to the 5 bolt pattern flange, as opposed to the 4 bolt every other turbo/car on the planet seems to use! That's why we're all salivating over this possible package, though I'm frightened to see what the price tag will be. :ph34r:

Aside from that are the simple bolt ons, like the Fast Forward Performance underdrive pulley, and billet aluminum motor mounts. There are a few TGPs that have broken into the 13's on the stock internals/just bolt ons, and not even a rebuild (130K miles + on many). I'm not sure how far I want to go with this car, yet. We'll see where I get in this next couple of months, and what's available by then.

Hope you have continued success on yours. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• RareGMFan
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list