3800 IC plugged up on me

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

So I'm driving home from work today. My IC in temps start climbing, and my IC out stays at the same temp. I take a hard right turn, and the IC in goes way down, and the out goes back up. I figured my coolant was low, so I take it real easy on the thing until I get it home. I open my res, and see that it's full, but foamy. I end up making a bypass for the extra exchanger, and res. Still no flow...So I blow into the hose a few times, then hear the pump start flowing. Weird. I can't see why it'd up and clog like that. Looks like this weekend it'll have to come apart to flush it out.

gtphale

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Aurora
Originally posted by Dream@Sep 7 2004, 10:28 PM
Didn't you use a shit can radiator? Could it possibly be from that. Maybe the person before you used it,had radiator stop leak in it???????? Doesn't always pay to go the cheap do it yourself route.
Hmm Maybe Becky has a really good idea of what caused the problem. Did you check your res. to make sure it was clean.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well, blowing out the lines must have done something. It's shedding heat better than it has before. I'm the one that put in the stop leak, and it's my first suspect. I'm going to run some radiator flush through it this weekend, then replumb the system with 3/4" lines to add a bit more capacity to it. I have a feeling the stop leak accumulated in the core (the only place it gets hot enough for that crap to work).

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Id put a flush T in it and after turning up the temp and releasing some of the sedimitation from the bottom of the hot water heater flush it out with hot water.

If there is any residual crap in there it should loosen it up. Then find a NEW exchanger. :eek:

I dont believe in all the "topical hotrod purchasing solutions" but a new exchanger should be a nice touch...Dont sweat a couple pounds...Get the biggest one that will fit. The idea of the 3/4 lines and increased water volume is a sound idea.

I was going through ice reletivly quick in my ice exchanger. I did discover that I had the IC fan off though. The heat pump/SCer was reletivly cool/warm to the touch. That dont mean anything but I still believe the core is pulling alot of heat out of the air.

How else would you explain the warmer water temps? Anyway, if I could find a 4-core or a thicker exchenger with the same dimentions I would go with it in a heartbeat....Later projects.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info