3800 22 deg of timing, or more boost

• Thread starter imported_Diavolo
  • Start date
I

imported_Diavolo

After finally getting my car running smoothly (bad sparkplug wire) (don't know about the tranny fluid leak, but I got a new dipstick tube to go in when I am back in IL) I started to mess with the ICCU. With the 3.25, I see 0 kr, and have 22 deg of timing. IPW's are mid 18 to mid 19's. MAFF peaks at 10,500. Boost is at 8.5 - 9. o2's constant 965 and LFT's constant 0 (no vac leak?).

I don't know if I should just increase timing (24?), or drop to a 3.1 pulley. I think with the 3.1, I will go static with my injectors, but I am sure I can drop without any KR. I also recently replaced my 103's with 104's. Should I put in the 103's again with the 3.25 or if I switch to my 3.1, should I put in the 103's again.

I can post the scan if needed.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

More boost! I'd try and get the boost up around 11psi, and then play with the timing. Like Mike said, you're too rich also. I'd shoot for a 3.0 pulley, the SC can do pretty well up to a 3.0, after that, it really starts to spit out hot air.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
You're a ticking time bomb with that much timing.

for street use, I don't recommend much more than 18.

I'd bring your timing back down and lean it out slightly and keep your current pulley.

That should be quick reliable for you.

If you want to through caution to the wind, drop a pulley size, drop some timing. See what your fuel looks like and if things are going well, then slowly bring some timing back into it.

$.02

I

imported_Diavolo

I have timing advance on my ICCU set to +3 and it is at 22 deg advance. That was after you pulled back 3 additional timing from the base timing Charles.

So I should shoot for 11 psi with 18 timing? I will probably keep my o2's around 940, even if I still have 0kr.

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Diavolo@Sep 6 2004, 12:24 AM
I have timing advance on my ICCU set to +3 and it is at 22 deg advance.  That was after you pulled back 3 additional timing from the base timing Charles. 

Sounds to me like Charles added 3* of ta :p (stock is 15-16*). If those timing values are accurate you're car must pull like a friggen beast :blink: Mine on the 3.25 and 17* of TA was mean as hell compared with like 3* less, but Charles is definitly right 22* of ta on a stock bottom end runnin pump gas is BEGGIN for trouble. You're much safer and will build significantly more hp/tq dropping a pulley size (or two :D ) and keeping ta around 15/16. With you're current set up I'd say you could run a 3" on pump gas....which is where things get really fun B) Timing advance is really good when you don't have the flow mods to pulley down, but boost is KING.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Not being critical here but im wondering why you guys are afraid of timming on the street.

Is it that too much timming for the octane level will lead to some KR. KR is designed to essentially protect your engine. You just dont want to keep running with it. I really dont see the problem then if you on top of your scans. Id run as much timming as long as you can get away with it.

Hence, timminig and less boost on the street. Boost it up on the strip with some octane to help keep up the timming. Boost in any configuration is naturally hard on engine componants and gaskets if you know what I mean.

$0.02

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Sep 6 2004, 12:56 PM
rob, the reason to be careful with timing is because you could add alot of timing and just because it doesnt knock doesnt mean its not bad, i know of someone that just popped a piston that way, no knock, but timing was a little too high for it
Thats very odd......Is this happening alot Steve....I mean to GP's. Generally, at least in my perspective, Uneven, high, pressures or any predisposing piston/engine damaging problems are attribuited to some detonation or KR factors which are different. But both have the same results and should be sensed by the KR's. Meaning you should of been warned somehow.
Maybe the damage was done before(stress fractures) and it just finally went under normal circumstances.

I understand that too much timming can damage your engine. Usually it does it detonating and its cause the combustion speed/rate or octane deprovation. I guess the real question I have is why the KR's werent chimming. When detonation occurs there is alot of valve harmonics.

Key here is octane or even water methenol injection. Old school high compression racers run WI to ward off detonation. No blower..Same result, higher compression.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info