3800 R/T downpipe users

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Ok, snoop tracked the rattly metallic tinny noise that is coming after I got my R/T downpipe installed.

It looks like its coming from the cat, and I was curious if this meant that the cat is on its way out?

Snoop wrapped the cat alittle with header wrap and I sprayed some DEI silicone on it. It seems to have quieted it down a bit, but I can still hear the noise alittle. Would wrapping from the flex pipe to the cat help kill the sound even more? Its literally driving me nuts!!!!!!!!

I am pretty much on my last end with this downpipe, if wrapping from the flex to the cat wont help kill the sound. Im just going to either get an M&S downpipe or have Jim custom fab me one. Cause right now it sounds like my car just came out of Sanford and Son's junkyard....

Also would anyone know where I could get header wrap and the DEI silicone spray locally? It looks like Im going to need more if I end up wrapping the downpipe from the flex to the cat...

Thanks for any help!

Joel

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If the cat is rattling that means that the elastic layer that is supposed to cushion the catylist has either broken or that the catylist itself has broken. It's a bad thing. I just had a customer email me a week or so ago that had this problem on his SHO. On a downshift the catylist got pulled through the EGR and destroyed the motor.

If you have a rattling cat, I would take it off right away.

Make sure Jim is using a mandrell bender again (can anyone confirm this as of this last month?). He crush bent my 3" downpipe and it's really 2.5 inches with a bunch of turbulence ribs.

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Sep 3 2004, 10:14 AM
If the cat is rattling that means that the elastic layer that is supposed to cushion the catylist has either broken or that the catylist itself has broken.  It's a bad thing. I just had a customer email me a week or so ago that had this problem on his SHO.  On a downshift the catylist got pulled through the EGR and destroyed the motor.

If you have a rattling cat, I would take it off right away. 

Make sure Jim is using a mandrell bender again (can anyone confirm this as of this last month?).  He crush bent my 3" downpipe and it's really 2.5 inches with a bunch of turbulence ribs.
Great, this is what I figured.

I'd like to get the M&S downpipe because I've heard good things about it, but I really need my car as a daily driver. I'm hoping I have at least a couple of weeks more with this downpipe as I really dont drive it that hard (get it into boost alot), so that I can order the M&S and get it installed...

Damn R/T's are such a ripoff, Im going to give them a piece of my mind about their poor product when I finally get the downpipe off...

Rob how much is it for your downpipe? If we could meet up this week maybe I'll just get one thru you...PM me with some info!

Thanks guys,
Joel

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 3 2004, 04:23 PM
Can't you just put a new converter on the r/t DP?
I accually have a new high flow 400 cell cat in the box. I was going toreincorperate it into my DP but if you need it I'll sell it to you and save you some shipping.

I got it from JCWitteney...It was $120....3" in and out. Not sure if how the post cat 02 is going to react to this one yet so it MAY need a 02 sim. I got to put my car together and then im putting some TOGs on Fredos car. I wont be able to put anymore DPs together until I find a Mandrell bender.

Im also not sure if Fredo wants me to weld it it his car. Give me a day or so.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Sep 3 2004, 12:49 PM
Alright Rob, you have two customers lined up... B)
I know Mike. I shoud stop teasing and get off my duff and shit or get off the pot. At least before someone finds out and starts pounding them out.

Im still a little gunshy about the EPA.....I need some counseling in this dept to see if it is even worth it.

Justin seems to be very knowlegable but I know hes a pretty busy man. Maybe I see him at GPG? When is it or is it over?

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Sep 3 2004, 01:00 PM
Hey Rob, isn't it funny :lol: When you first announced doing this you got all ganged up on about it...
Well, everyone is intitled to there own opinion. I did learn of a couple EPA changes though.

Anyway I really need to do something cause whatever you decide to do as far as the "DUMP" is concerned, it still is a neet, compact, and LOUD, pipe design.

I will probably wind up putting a few on a couple guys cars and let them sell themselves. I want to test it longer on my car first. Stockpile the nessessary parts(eplexs) and pipe and go to town.

The q-tech is a temp solution as far as I was concerned an not really a part of the pipe. If it craps out I will pop the motor off and install a spring loaded manual cable. I want to machine a new system and incorperate this new economical dump design to the pipe.

Ive been busy at work and with my car. Once thats done its open season.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• J
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list