3800 flex pipe

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Contrary to poular belief, you don't really need a flex pipe, unless your exhaust is hard mounted. I've been running w/o a flex for over a year with no problems. Although you will feel more engine vibration. If you are building a downpipe for exhaust manifolds, you can reuse the stock flange for 3" pipe. It's actually a perfect fit once all the weld is removed. If you need 3" mandrel bends call Tom at Boyce industries in Franklin Park @ 708-345-0455. They supply exhaust parts to most of the spped shops in Chicago, so you can get it for about 1/2 price there. You may want to ask about the flex pipe, but it'd be hard to beat that Ebay price.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Ron, Mike and I installed headers on his car a couple weeks ago and had a shop custom make a pipe to connect them to the cat-back. Since then it has come loose and is making significant amounts of noise. I think Mike is just assuming that it came lose from bending.

Personally, I like the flex mount that Jim uses for his DPs. It gives just enough to allow some movement.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You know what, it may have been due to movement if the stock motor mounts are getting loose. Honestly, if it was welded right, the pipe should crack before the weld does. Where did the pipe come apart? There might be a chance that a ball/cone joint might work. There's a place that's local that has 'em.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list