3800 A WARNING

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
I was checking my connections like you should be doing if you got chopped up rails.

I found some chaffing and swelling around the clamp. So, I went to change the expensive hose and I grabbed it to get the nut driver on the clamp it and it ripped and squirted with the residual fuel pressure.

Now in my case this was a temporary solution until my employment situation changed and I could get Paul to work with me. I didnt spend alot of time to really fabricate them the right way. (unlike some others Ive seen done on this club)

Reguardless, heat does alot of things under pressure so the point hear is if you have it done "your way" keep a good eye on it cause a pound of prev............Pain.

I also learned from a friend that if you insurence co. discovers that you tampered with the fuel system you SOL. So in hignsite the going rate ($359) for rails may not be a bad option. But cheffed rails should be checked...Now go check them!

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by rob@Aug 5 2004, 12:24 PM
I was checking my connections like you should be doing if you got chopped up rails.

I found some chaffing and swelling around the clamp. So, I went to change the expensive hose and I grabbed it to get the nut driver on the clamp it and it ripped and squirted with the residual fuel pressure.

Now in my case this was a temporary solution until my employment situation changed and I could get Paul to work with me. I didnt spend alot of time to really fabricate them the right way. (unlike some others Ive seen done on this club)

Reguardless, heat does alot of things under pressure so the point hear is if you have it done "your way" keep a good eye on it cause a pound of prev............Pain.

I also learned from a friend that if you insurence co. discovers that you tampered with the fuel system you SOL. So in hignsite the going rate ($359) for rails may not be a bad option. But cheffed rails should be checked...Now go check them!
Keep a fire extinguisher on hand...

I think the fuel rails are well worth the peace of mind.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
I cannot agree more.

I few months ago, I was in minnesota dyno tuning cars and a certain fiero had the chop and clamp rail method for his IC. I noticed it was slightly damp looking and I told him about it and warned him to fix it immediately. He said he would.... He didn't.

4 days later, I read about how is car burnt to the ground while driving it ..........

I give paul shit for the cost of the rail too (just razzing him), but if you have no other way to do it, you should really get custom rails, or have a shop modify the stock ones to work properly.

Chopping the rails and clamping the hose is not the best idea, period.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Also of note, you're not going to really be able to test for leaks with the car at idle. At first mine leaked at the top and it would only happen and WOT. I pulled off to the side of the road and there was a puddle on my blower.

Another option if you must cut the rails is to cut all of the rails so you can still mount the feed and return lines on top of the blower. The plastic tubing that leads up to the two flare fittings should not be left "hanging".

I also fit hosing well over 4" past where I made my cuts. This way there is a low pressure "buffer zone". I'll post pictures of this later.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Yeah, I did the same thing, putting the hose a few inches over the line, but I still don't trust it. I'm having a set of '04, and '00 rails sent to me for a chop cut rebuild. This time everything is getting brazed together. A Club GP guy did turn me on to a site that'll do any custom rail for $125 a pair, but the hoses and regulator still put it around $300.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Im pretty much going with Pauls rails now...I like the red annodized look anyway. I worked something out with him but he is currently out of regs. I was always going to go woith either Rons set up or Pauls. Now that im back to work I can easily cover the costs "Piece of mind" Yes! I cant consentrate on this poultry IDLE SURGE PROBLEM with all this other little stuff poping up.

First a hub. Now the rails. Im glad I found it though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info