3800 Tranny Cooler Install Help

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by markymarc@Aug 5 2004, 11:00 AM
Can anyone help me with the install of a GM auxillary tranny cooler? I'm taking a long trip at the end of the month and I'd like this on for extra protection. Let me know.
Most will argue that tranny coolers are a bad idea. Our trans' rarely fail from heat and most cooler systems have or will leak at some point in time. Do a search. Get AAA if you choose to install one.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
DAH.....i hate that stupid argument. No Grand Prix transmission has ever failed because of their transmission oil being too cold. The only times installing a transmission cooler is a problem is when you do it wrong. Thus a hose comes loose, oil spills everywhere, transmission breaks. There have only been a select few people that have ever had this happen. The key is to clean off any transmission oil that may be inside the cut line. As transmission oil is like a super-lubricant, it will slip off if not done properly. Also, it is best to flare the ends of the metal lines so that the clamps will have an even harder time of popping off. Flaring tools can be rented from most auto-parts stores.

I have personally emailed a transmission cooler company about this very problem. Even included a description of the arguement. This company had been in the field for over 30 years, and the engineer that responded to me for over 25 years. In which time he has NEVER heard of the problem I sent him. And went on to tell me that the temperature could be ran lower, safely.

Also, I had my transmission cooler installed by a Dealer over two years ago, without a single problem to date. Yes, a dealer, because I didnt have time. Again a Dealer.....you know, those people who arent well known for their good work. I have 97,000 miles on the transmission. Have personally put 50,000 of them on it. And these have been extremely rough miles, as I am a speed nut. My transmission will break one of these days, but it wont be due to my transmission oil being to cold.....end rant

Sorry....old arguement I finally beat too death on the national board....because no one could answer my one simple question....."Name one person who has ever had their transmission fail due to it being too cold?"

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Aug 6 2004, 01:36 AM
Name one person who has ever had their transmission fail due to it being too cold?"
What's your point? All trans start at 0* when the car is started. Have you ever checked how many people have ruined their trans cuz of leaking lines from what thought to be a good instal? Hell, ask Hale, he almost fried his and he's one of the best wrenches on this board. Have you ever checked your tft? I can drive my car in rush hour traffic for an hour and it won't go over 140*. I have the same trans as a GP so a GP trans would'nt get an hotter than mine. Bottome line is coolers arent needed and cause more problems than they fix. People install them cuz they don't know any better and it makes them feel better having extra toys.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by sr71_rgl@Aug 6 2004, 12:19 PM

What's your point? All trans start at 0* when the car is started.
Actually, it would be the temp out side! :lolsign:

I like my BMR cooler. I think it helps. Heck, if it helps my trans last a few k more miles then its doin its job.

The people without coolers see some pretty high temps. WIth the cooler, it stays pretty consistent.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Not sure how yours stay at 140 either. Mine are regularly at 160-170 with the cooler. And I did state that the problems with tranny coolers is bad installation. But there is not actual problem with tranny coolers, thats the point im making. Doing several track runs, or simply screwing around in town can start to heat up your transmission very easily. IMO, transmission coolers are worth all of there few dollars.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
I thought tranny coolers came on regals? am I wrong? Someone told me that.

and why would Gm go the the trouble of making one, putting the notches in our front end where it goes? They made it for some reason.

All I know if my temps are about 215-220 at times without a cooler. At what temp point does the PCM make the car go into limp home mode cause its too hot? 240 I believe.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Tranny coolers prolong tranny life in severe/heavy duty applications. Mostly towing and if your running more power or a stall. Just because some of the more "topical" opions havent seen any "heat related" failures doesnt mean a cooler wont prolong you trannys life by reducing heat and increasing oil vescosity.

The truth isnt heat related failures arent an issue because these transaxles will usually bust something first. Clutches, chains, imputshafts. Torque is the culperet here not heat.

Of course you have to install it correctly and shit happens. No matter how good you are.

I

imported_Theautoguy

I have a Regal GS, they don't come with them installed. The GM units are primarily used on the Impalla Police package. I installed mine and double clamped it, it didn't hold. I then had the line flared at the dealership and it's held for a year and half now. Even the performance transmission guys say to flare the lines. So my only advise...FLARE THE LINES!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info