3800 Thinking of upgrading fuel injectors?

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

Doing some research, made some interesting finds...It seems like such a mystery what works or doesn't on our cars. I'm posting this to save you'all the time I spent...

Ford injectors ARE interchageable, as long as they are the Bosch style.
High impediance injectors are not all the same. Ohms ratings vary from 11-16.6ohms. Stock ohms is 16, most ford are 14.6ohm.

"Competition" injectors are around 12ohms.

You should choose an injector as close to the OEM spec as possible. The lower the ohm rating of the injector, the faster the response time from computer command (sounds like a good idea huh? Not so...) A lower ohm injector will cause premature failure of the injector drivers in your cars computer. The lower ohm injectors don't have enough resistance, and in daily use may overheat the drivers, and render the computer garbage.

I found 2 Lucas PN's that will work, and are safe:
8f160-038 (38#/hour)
8f160-042 (42#/hour)

Both are rated at 16.6 ohms

Bosch pn:0280150558 (42#/hour)
rated at 14.6ohms, this is the stock injector on SC Ford Lightning.

Hopefully this info helps someone, and prevents any failures
Ron :smoke:

I

imported_Ron Vogel

16 is the elecrtical resistance, not the flow rating. Our injectors flow 36# @ 43.5psi. 38# won't really require any real changes. Check out ZZP's site they have some info on when you have to switch up. Most people go to the 42.5's, they're good to 600hp. I'm going with the 38's, since I'll never see 600hp, and the 38's should be good to 370-400hp.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by nitrous@Aug 5 2004, 12:22 AM
Are those 42# Lucas injectors you listed the same ones that ZZP sells?
Looks like it, but ZZP doesn't give you the Lucas PN. More than likely so you don't buy them somewhere else. Their prices for them are the going rate though. You'll find a lot of places only sell matched sets for V8's, because that's how they're shipped.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
One you get to arond the 50lb mark, you're not left with much choice but to go to low impedence injectors. High impedence high flow injectors typically leak. ZZP has a unit designed to allow low impedence injectors with a high impedence driver.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info