3800 Home Throttle-Body Porting

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Well with some advice from Ron, I did some porting on my extra TB. I cut out the center post and ground it down. Then I ported the inlet and turned it down to stock bore. Nothing major, but just a little clean up. So is there anything else I need/should do before I install it. I'll have an ls1 MAF soon for it. If you have nothing nice to say then dont say it... ;)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

You should thin down the shaft if you are keeping the stock bore, big gains to be had there.
To remove the shaft:
Remove tb plate screws, 2-t20 torx then pull out plate. Be careful, because the screws are weak, and the heads tend to break off. Once the plate is out scribe a line where the shaft meets the bore on both sides.
The nut needs to be removed on the linkge side. then remove the linkage. Remove the TPS sensor on the other side.
Tap lightly on the shaft from the linkage side to pop it out the tps side. The shaft is interference fit to the bearing on the linkage side. The shaft will force out the bearing and retainer on the TPS side. You may need a punch to follow the shaft out as you do this. The pin in the TPS side can be removed by using a hammer, resting the shaft on a piece of wood, then following it out with a punch, then twisting it out with pliers.
The bearing and retainer will now slide off the shaft.
You can now thin down the shaft by sanding it dow, it goes pretty easy, as the metal is fairly soft, just don't go beyond the lines you scribed before removing the shaft.
To reinstall the shaft:
You'll need to pop out the linkage side bearing, to do this put the shaft back in and tap on the other side with a hammer, this should pop out the bearing. You'll need to install that bearing onto the shaft, first, then install the shaft/bearing from the linkage side.
Keep in mind the shaft ends may have mushroomed a bit from hammering on them. You'll need to sand them down a bit to fit the bearings over the ends.
Use a long socket as to not contact the shaft and tap the bearing/retainer in the linkage side, then slide the bearing/retainer on the TPS side and use the socket method to fit the bearing back in. Then put back in the pin at the end of the shaft. Done.
And yes the LT's will be off a bit. More air = the need for more gas, if the LT's are more than 10%, then you'll need to mini-afc it, but you should do that anyway.

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yea, already got a mini afc for tuning. I knew I was going to have to tune it once I put the ls1 maf on.

Honestly Ron, you lost me with that procedure. Im sure I could manage to do it, but I dont have the time right now. Is there any way to just sand it while its still on the TB. I mean, I can get a dremel to it, but will this cause a problem?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98 gtp toy@Aug 4 2004, 02:01 AM
Yea, already got a mini afc for tuning. I knew I was going to have to tune it once I put the ls1 maf on.

Honestly Ron, you lost me with that procedure. Im sure I could manage to do it, but I dont have the time right now. Is there any way to just sand it while its still on the TB. I mean, I can get a dremel to it, but will this cause a problem?
Too risky, it's easy to bump the wall where it seals. The way I explained it may sound complicated, but it's actually pretty easy once you do it. It just has to be taken out/put back in a certain way because of how it's in there. One time, I made a full floater shaft, so it could be easily slid in/out for removal. It caused all sorts of troubs, and I ended up buying a whole new tb for the shaft. If you were in the area, I'd say just swing by. I'd show you how to do it, the whole shaft trimming thing can be done in a little over an hour. The only way I can see doing it with the shaft in would be to take out the TB blade, tape off the tb walls, then use a hand file to take the shaft down. It wouldn't be as complete a job, but it would work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info