3800 Got rid of my knock...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Those that were following my problem will remember that I was seeing 3 -5 degrees of knock on cool days with my 3.0 pulley. Well after some finagling and a bunch of different scans I finally got it knicked.

This weekend I went over everything with a fine tooth comb in an attempt to discover what was causing this.

So... here are my findings:

The polyurethane upper dogbone bushings not only decrease the quality of the idle but add false knock. These seemed to compound 2 - 4 degrees above what I already had. I understand that some are running these free of knock. That was not the case with me. I won't go into my opinion on the neccessity of these bushings or their perceived benefits, but needless to say I was happy to remove them, not only to rid myself of some of the knock, but to get a tolerable idle back.

The main problem was the spark plugs. I pulled them out today and discovered a .060 gap, slightly larger than the .057 I set them at way back when I installed the 3.4 pulley. I re-gapped them to .040 and went out for a scan. At the top of second gear I was seeing .26 - .69 blips with one blip of 1.98, all of which I attribute to the Festiva radiator I'm using as an intercooler heat exchanger.

I finally got the intercooler to hold fluid and after a couple months usage I'm definetly put at ease with my decision to offer Brian's core with our kits, especially with the improvements he's making to it.

Next: Headers, heads, and rockers. I hope to have the car into the 12's this season with just the addition of headers and rockers, the rockers of course being a temporary solution until I get the cam in this off-season.

Well that's all I have. Just thought I'd add something to the dead forum today while I'm working. :)

S

sr71_rgl

Congrats on your accomplishment. Plugs influence our cars more than most being forced induction and all. I remember last year I tried installing some 103 DPs gapped at .060 and the car RAN LIKE CRAP. I gapped em down and the car ran a lot better. I then replaced them all with 104 coppers gapped at .050 and it ran like a top....each L67 runs just a little different than the next. Any news that race trans? How much will your IC kit will cost?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yes, this should have been one of the first things I checked, but I tend to overcomplicate things usually and try to search for a bigger problem.

As for the intercooler kit... It's ready and it's $1099. I've pre-sold 2 of them pending testing and the revisions being made to the core.

As for the trans, I'll have news on that later in the month. :)

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You really think so? So far it's performed as well as the ZZP Stage II unit and it's priced a full $200 cheaper than the other full size intercooler kits.

The kit includes the core, pump, hoses, fittings, heat exchanger, gaskets, etc.

Out of curiousity what are you comparing it to?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Actually that is right on the money. The average shmoe would't go through all the time and energy (and money), to put together a kit. You'd be surprised at how much the plumbing costs to put together a kit. Mostly, because you have to buy stuff that won't work, then buy more stuff, until you get it right. It's a PITA to plumb the IC right, and have it work right too.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Full size aluminum lightweight radiator, Flo-jet pump.

Mostly, because you have to buy stuff that won't work, then buy more stuff, until you get it right. It's a PITA to plumb the IC right, and have it work right too.

More or less that's exactly how it is. I think there are a lot of people out there that prefer a kit to doing it themselves and compared to the other full size core kits out there I think this price is entirely fair, making it, by far, the cheapest full size intercooler kit. :blink:

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Mike, now you'll need to offer injectors. The 2.8" pulley has me going static now! I'm currently searching for 38#er's. And no I'm not getting 42.5's! SVO has 39#'s, but I don't know if they will work, there are 2 styles Bosch and EV6, the 39# are EV6.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 2 2004, 12:41 PM
It's really just a matter of getting the stuff on the site Ron. I am swamped with work. We do however plan on carrying Bosch, Lucas, Delphi, and siemens also. :)

If you have a Bosch part number, IM it to me and I'll see what I can do.
I'm looking...Trying to find direct replacement for 8.1 L GM marine engines. Supposedly that's what the f-body guys use.

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 1 2004, 10:26 PM
You really think so? So far it's performed as well as the ZZP Stage II unit and it's priced a full $200 cheaper than the other full size intercooler kits.

well i have a ZZP unit and i ran 12.66 give me your kit i'll put it on and we will see if it compares to ZZP i'm willing if you are

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Mike K@Aug 2 2004, 03:42 PM
I can get them for slightly cheaper... I wasn't even aware MSD made injectors. I must be losing it.
Mike, if you have an idea on price let me know. I'd rather buy them from you than Jegs. These are rated to flow at 43lbs, so with boost reference they have some headroom. I'm making some rails too, I'll need a cutting tool MSD makes. I'll repost when I have the P/N.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Found something better MSD P/N:2115, it's a injector boss; stainless. For making your own rails. Comes in sets of 8. Get this and some brake line, a little brazing, and you can have a killer rail for dirt. I may braze in the stock regulator too.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by superchargedgp+Aug 2 2004, 04:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (superchargedgp @ Aug 2 2004, 04:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mike K@Aug 1 2004, 10:26 PM
You really think so?  So far it's performed as well as the ZZP Stage II unit and it's priced a full $200 cheaper than the other full size intercooler kits.

well i have a ZZP unit and i ran 12.66 give me your kit i'll put it on and we will see if it compares to ZZP i'm willing if you are [/b][/quote]
I somehow don't get the feeling that you're unbiased Mike. You seem to be around the corner ready to question or challenge me anytime I open my mouth.

If you want to dyno the car with the ZZP and dyno it with our core, I'd be happy to do so. I'm sure we could get the cores swapped in a matter of an hour or so and pop the car right back on. ZZP uses the same style radiator and a similar rating pump so we wouldn't even have to bother with that.

Let me ask you though, what are you trying to prove, or rather, disprove?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by xttc2000@Aug 2 2004, 05:39 PM
if mike is game id be curious exactly how much better the current lp core is compared to the original, and how it stacks up to the competition.
I'd be grateful if Mike was willing to tear down his car to help find this out.

It seems through my research that the LP IC cars are performing on the track just as well as al the other IC cars so it would be interesting to view hp differences, if any.

Hope I wasn't coming off like an ass Mike. Perhaps I have to meet you in person to understand your personality, but it seems like you're always wanting to challenge me.

superchargedgp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
no offense taken mike. i'm up to the challange just like they compared zzp and
map

I myself owned a prototype LP IC 3rd one ever made. and wasnt too pleased with it.

if your willing to supply all the necessary parts and gaskets to make the changes and than to change my car to the way it was i'm game. the only thing on my car from zzp IC kit is the core. the radiator is the one I told bryan about and now he sells it in his kit. also i have a flojet pump.

we can set this up after the nationals if you like.

let me know

mike

p.s. i'm not trying to prove anything, just want let people know which core is better. it seems that alot of people need to know real numbers. people are getting ready to buy intercoolers and it will help with their choices

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info