3800 Getting heads done

• Thread starter imported_Ron Vogel
  • Start date
I

imported_Ron Vogel

OK, the machine shop I have used in the past will be doing my heads most likely. After comparing options to pricing to what I will gain tells me to go cheap on it. I'm just having a basic magnaflux/valve job done after my mild port job. Having the valve gudes changed is cheap enough at $6 per, but the cost of the guides is the killer. I wanted to go with bronze guides, but at $309 (each!), it's not worth the advantage, even the iron guides are $85 each. So I'm replacing only what's needed. I have a few questions for anyone that has had some headwork done...

1. I need to compare prices, If you have a favorite machine shop chime in. I am using my place so far because I trust their work. I put $10,000 of machine work into my last motor with them, and they do a very good job. Trust of competency in machine work like this is super important, if you have a place you recommend, pleas post.

2. Can the lower intake be removed with the SC attached? I'm trying to save time and gaskets on my build.

3. Will I need better pushrods? My set-up is going to be pretty mild; stock cam, L32 springs, 1.75 rockers.

4. I'm considering a thinner head gasket to bump compression a tad. Will this cause any geometry problems?

TIA,
Ron

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by superchargedgp@Jul 7 2004, 10:22 AM
just buy INTENSE heads and stop being cheap. being cheap does not pay at the end. trust me
It's not that cheap...trust me...

The problem I have with the Intense heads is that I can do a lot more to the heads for the same money. I am also weighing HP increase per dollar, and it doesn't make enough sense. Any mild P & P job is going to net around 20HP, I have ported a few sets of heads in the past, and know what to do on these. I'm not planning on replacing the valves, and do not plan on going to a cam now. I'm getting to the edge of restriction with the 3.0 pulley, and only need to go mild to swap on a 2.8. So far this is what I'm looking at:
$239+ guides on the heads
$140 head gasket
I could go full out on the heads, but it's not worth sinking $2000+ on reworked stock heads for maybe a 30hp gain, I'd rather use that money for traction.

S

sr71_rgl

I'd say your logic is pretty sound as most of INTENSES products are overkill and meant for guys who's goals are high 11s low 12s. It's already been proven high 12s can be had w/out spending a ton of $$$. IMHO, I would suggest using the stock thickess head gaskets. If you're looking to bump compression....swap to a smaller pulley :D The extra comp from the thinner gaskets would work good with a NA motor but why not use what GM gave you to increase comp?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'm going with stock thickness now, found an uninstalled mls gasket set cheap, and looking at the difference in compression it's not worth it. Nick, where did you get your head work done, and what did you do with the guides?

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Usually supercharged motors want lower compression...

As for the headwork, price out AES. They've done a lot of 3800 motors - although mainly camaros, but from what i hear, a good deal of GTP's too.

AES - Automotive Engine Specialties
173 Randall St.
Elk Grove, IL 60007
847-956-1244

It's occasionally hard to get a hold of them by phone. If you feel like visiting them, knock on the back door...or just walk right in the back door, w/e.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Jul 7 2004, 02:46 PM
Usually supercharged motors want lower compression...
Usually it's the way to go, but the M90 is pretty inefficient. People who don't upgrade to the mp112, or gen V blower will go this route eventually. It's OK with an IC and/or cam, it will ultimately limit HP, but it's a good kick in HP/TQ with the M90 if the motor can support it. You want low compression and make up for it with forced induction optimally, I agree...But for what I want out of the motor it's a good way to go. When I get there, I'll do it with psitons.

I checked with AES, and I'll be out there this week to check them out. I may end up doing the bronze guides with them. Thanks.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
remember that the only reason GM culd have had for running 8.5:1 CR was to save money. it meant they didnt have to use an intercooler, and it would be easier on the engine, so less warranty claims. Low compression isnt a necessity in the least though. You can run a blower or turbo on higher comression engines, but you become limited in the amount of boost you can run. in fact most factory cars you find on the street with FI still tend to sport 9.5:1 or greater compression ratios. In fact, a lot of people up their CR in GTP's when switching over to forged internals. Just allows that much more power to be potentially made.

Sorry for the hijack, bak to your regularly scheduled thread.

BC
:ph34r:

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Jul 7 2004, 12:39 PM
Nick, where did you get your head work done, and what did you do with the guides?
I bought my heads from JasonGS on RegalGS.org who had them ported by a reputable shop in Dearborn Heights, MI. They came with oversized valves, a 3 angle job and some other stuff but not much done to the CC. They aren't done to the hilt but much better than stockers. I don't recall anything being done to the valve guides though.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I ended up working out a deal on '04 L32 heads with 0 miles. I'll just do the porting and lap the valves. It ended up costing about the same, so I'll just sell the 2 sets of heads I have instead of rebuilding them. The only drawback is that since they have no miles, they won't be seasoned at all. Sometimes that can lead to problems with sealing surfaces on a seasoned block.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info