3800 question on rattling coming from my mom's firebird

gt2000

Feb 14, 2008
Ok my mom came home from work today and she was hearing this weird noise. I was thinking exhaust and checked it out and everything looked fine. Well she put it in park and threw it a couple revs and not a sound other than the exhaust. Well in drive when she hits the gas it makes this weird sound. Hard to explain it. But do you think it could be the rear-end? The car shifts fine and runs great. It's a 1999 Firebird with the 3800 V6 in it, automatic trans, and around 45,000 miles on the clock. It's not a grinding metal noise either, just like a tinking noise. Definetely coming from the back of the car! Sorry if these seems vague, I am kind of lost for ideas on what it could be myself. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Zach

gt2000

Feb 14, 2008
Well I think I found where it is coming from. It is from the muffler, only happens when you are revving on it, or you are in drive and going through town. Sounds like there is a piece of metal in the muffler. I don't know much about mufflers, but could one of the chambers, or some metal in the walls of it busted and be bouncing around in there? Any ideas of what is causing this noise in the muffler, or has this happened to anyone else? Sorry for the first post, I was in hurry and didn't realize how pointless it was.

-Zach

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list