3800 Critique my dyno runs!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I went in this morning to have the car dynoed with one of our company test cars and was relatively pleased with the results:

grandprixsmall.jpg

The highest numbers:

HP - 222.1
TQ - 334.5

I'm extactic with the torque numbers, but think I should be a little higher for horsepower.

The temperature was 94 degrees inside the shop with a 29.80 barometric pressure so I am quite pleased that the car put down that much with minimal mods.

The A/F curve is what is really astonishing. I personally think it's a little rich, but I've never seen a torque curve that flat (Thanks Charles!).

So what do you all think?!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I meant to say A/F curve, not torque curve.

What does 334 ft/lbs translate to at the crank? That's got to be close to or over 400ft/lbs yes? A 3.4 and minimal mods really kick your torque up 100+ ft/lbs?

Coilovers, being tested. If someone has stock struts that are shot that they would be willing to sacrifice they would be tested earlier. They are on a long list of things to do in a relatively short amount of time. :)

S

sr71_rgl

Originally posted by Mike K@Jun 9 2004, 04:40 PM

What does 334 ft/lbs translate to at the crank? That's got to be close to or over 400ft/lbs yes? A 3.4 and minimal mods really kick your torque up 100+ ft/lbs?

Coilovers, being tested. If someone has stock struts that are shot that they would be willing to sacrifice they would be tested earlier. They are on a long list of things to do in a relatively short amount of time. :)
Nice numbers, but I'm a bit skeptical about that generous TQ value. What gear did you dyno the car in? Fwiw, you'll convert a lot of that bottom end tq to upper end hp by addig some headers and even more if you do a cam/heads.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The car was dynoed in 3rd gear and took about 7 or 8 runs for us to feather it in lightly enough to stay in that gear rather than downshift.

The next mod is the intercooler, but I am also waiting on a test set of our headers and my custom spec'd cam to arrive to add to the fun. :)

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by Mike K@Jun 9 2004, 04:40 PM

Damn Mike If you need struts I could of given you mine when you came by to drop off those pads. I threw those away but I did ask when you first was asking for test dummys ;)

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It gives you more then 100! :) I figured 427 at the crank with a 23% drivetrain loss (just an estimate) for about 300RPM. Yikes!

Damn Mike If you need struts I could of given you mine when you came by to drop off those pads. I threw those away but I did ask when you first was asking for test dummys

D'oh!

what are the specs of the cams you are going to sell??

Anywhere from basic (.510 lift) to nuts (.550 lift) and everywhere in between. Customers will also have an option to custom grind their own cam. :)

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Actually that a/f is about what we aim for. These blowers make a lot of heat and it needs some fuel to prevent a ton of KR. The leanest I'd dare run that thing on pump gas with a 3.4 or larger pulley would be 12.3 to 12.5. Anything leaner than that and you better have an IC or some race gas.

ITs a safe A/F for everyday driving that is for sure. Given the temperature in the dyno and the fact taht you made 8 runs and the car had to be plenty heatsoaked, those numbers are what i expect to see.

If you would have put in the stock pcm, i bet you would have hit closer to 200 than 220.

charles

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Charles, I understand the reasoning, but would it be safe to lean it out a little for some more power once I get the intercooler or do you think I would be better suited playing with timing and leaving fuel alone for a gain of hp?

We were actually there for quite a few hours with about a 20 minute lapse between runs with a fan sitting on the blower.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info