3800 Problems at the Track

Me and my friend adam (adam86) went up to great lakes dragway friday night. So we get there we start running almost right away. these were my times 15.207, 15.001, 15.237 we only got 3 runs in because this stupid high school program they do or wutever. Anyways there was another GTP there with the same mods as me and he was runnign 14.4 all day then i asked wtf is going on . He told me he was running his car in 3rd all the way through and he said i was in drive all way through that was my problem suposedly does that sound right ? Oh by the way there was no traction wut so ever there .

some one let me know if 3rd is the right thing to do .

zeez gtp

Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Bolingbrook
could having your car in drive compared to 3rd, really make half a second difference. i bet it is 60' times. believe me, i never knew how to launch and i would run mid 15's to high 15's. then i got the hang of it and ran a 14.5 with the same mods that day. just keep practicing. and keep it in 3rd, it won't hurt

zack

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
3rd gear making any kind of a difference is a load of crap. I'm pretty sure Scott and the turbo car keep it in drive the whole time, as well as most automatic drag racers too.

Only way I can see anything being beneficial is if you manually shift it, but that's pretty pointless in our cars since they shift at redline anyways, and keeping it in gear would just make you more inconsistant. I'm even pretty sure that the trans fluid pressure is the same in D and 3 while in perf. shift.

If you did try the 3rd gear, unless you get some confidence boost that makes you do better, there wont be a time difference.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Jun 5 2004, 03:55 PM
3rd gear making any kind of a difference is a load of crap. I'm pretty sure Scott and the turbo car keep it in drive the whole time, as well as most automatic drag racers too.

Only way I can see anything being beneficial is if you manually shift it, but that's pretty pointless in our cars since they shift at redline anyways, and keeping it in gear would just make you more inconsistant. I'm even pretty sure that the trans fluid pressure is the same in D and 3 while in perf. shift.

If you did try the 3rd gear, unless you get some confidence boost that makes you do better, there wont be a time difference.
Actually.....at IDD I was running in 3rd. Kept me in 3rd till I crossed the finish at about 6100 RPMs. Raised my MPH by 1-2.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info