3800 Need opinion on tires...

I am buying 2 new tires for the summer for the rears, and I need some opinions here.

Few things to keep in mind,

1. These tires are going to be my daily drivers, on my stock rims.
2. I am only purchasing 2 rear tires, the fronts will stay stock as BF Goodrich g-Force KDWS
3. I need to keep in mind this car will be driven in the rain.
4. Lastly I want of course the maximum amount of traction.
5. The ultimate most I want to spend on tires will be $215 a piece.

So what I have come down to is this...
My choices are Nitto extreme drags, or the new Hoosier R3 S04. Or unless someone can suggest something that get's better traction than those two, and can be daily driven.

But between those two I have another discision. The stock tires size is 245/45/ZR17

I have been told by other people that are running them that the Nitto 275/40/ 17's will fit on the stock rim, but most tire places dont suggest it.

Either way I think just the upgrade to Nittos with my stock tire size will be enough, but 275's will be nice.

I really do like the hoosiers, but I am deafly affraid I will get stuck in the rain wih them.

The Nittos do last much longer, but I am really only expecting these tires to last only this summer.

I am confused, what does everyone else think??

mfuller

May 28, 2008
Stay away from the Hoosiers if this is a daily driver.....they wear extremely fast and have no wet-weather traction.....they are mainly an autocross/road race tire. I don't know much about the Nitto's.

Have you looked at a Goodyear F1 GS-D3? I'm very happy with them; they wear well, are very quiet, and have excellent wet and dry traction....just forget about driving with them in the snow. $181 per in your stock size, $195 per in a 275/40R17 (prices from the Tire Rack).

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
what size rim? my stock TA wheels were 17x9 or 17x9.5 and they came w/275/40/17 tires... and some people go as large as 315/35/17 on these same wheels (but not reccommended plus they bow out some and you don't get the full contact patch)

my 15" pro stars are 15x8 and they have 275/50/15 on them...

as far as tire... I've always had good luck w/Nittos... I can cut 1.6s on them and know several who have cut high 1.5s on Nittos ... the BFG is a great tire too though... (though doesn't Rt. 66 and some other tracks classify the BFGs as slicks now? I thought I heard that last year)

I know the BFG drag radials are good tires, but for some reason I have a hard time believing they hookup better than Nittos. They also cost another $100 per tire.

I also looked at the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and they look like great all around tires, btu I am just looking for best traction next to slicks, and something that would just grip in the summer.

I loved my hoosiers for my GP before, nothing like the feeling of ripping 1.7 60 foots, but you are right they don't last long enough, and are quite dangerous on the streets when wet.

I've decided on Nittos, but I need to now decide on size.

275/40/17 will fit on the stock wheel which is 17x8, but the lowest recommended size wheel is 9.0. Another GTO owner is running his with no problems, and says they don't even look bad. At the bottom is a pic. He said he was suggest to run them at 35psi instead of 30psi.

Here is my delema, I want to feel safe obviously, and I also want to run the tires low when at the track. How safe will these 275's be on a 17x8 rim being ran at high speeds and low psi at the track on my rim?

Thanks

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
not sure what is taken into consideration between the ratings (I think Nittos are H or V rated? Z rated tires are necessary for faster) but for short stints they're fine... I had my car to 178 (well according to GPS, not sure how accurate my cheapy unit is though) w/Nittos and no blow outs :D

I think it's 24.5mm = 1 inch so a 275 is 30mm more tire to ground than a 245 so it's a little over an inch more contact patch

(the way to read tire values, 275/40/17 is 275 is the tire width in mm, 40 is the aspect ratio, so 1 sidewall is .40 * 275 mm high, 17 is the inside diameter of the tire)

Well I ended up getting something completely different... I stopped by my friends place of work and he hooked me up good with a pair of G-force T/A KDW's, alittle bit better than what I had stock. I got such a good deal that I even have some money left over that I think I am going to save to buy some rims (17x9) and have some hoosiers mounted on them. These tires are great street tires.

Thanks for all the help from everyone!

The stock tires are great, they still have over 60% of tread life on them according to the people at Sears. I was just planning on keeping them for front tires when ever my current front tires go bald. I don't think it would be worth it to me to sell them because I wouldnt get much for them, and they are still good to use when I need them. What kind of car do you have?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info