3800 Insurance got raised

staceyyearsich

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Crete
This was my first claim, my ins. was 108.00 and they uped it to 245.00 Thats not even fair ALL my other accidents I paid for them out of my pocket, I dunno has anyone else's ever raised this much.. shit it was like 3000 in damage I could've paid that outta my pocket with these rates they'll have that claim paid off in 6months, I called and complained they told me 400 a month first, then they "messed up" so there going to check into this, but it pisses me off, thats a waste of money

OvANGLvO

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
Originally posted by staceyyearsich@May 12 2004, 08:18 AM
I had 1 ticket on my record from almost 3yrs ago, I told them I swerved to miss a couple deer that ran out in front of me on the road and I hit the guard rail.. (Its my first accident on my record)
that shouldn't have gotten it raised becuase it should have been done 3 years ago and not now. Don't let them use this excuse. I don't like insurence comppanies especially mine.

jmdz06

Dec 19, 2008
ok, first, if you just claimed an accident (if it was your fault or not, it doesn't matter) then the insurance company PROBABLY ran an MVR on you to see if there were other acc/viol out there. let's say your insurance record was clean up until this accident, then you were probably getting a discount for being a 'good driver' along with a good base rate. now you no longer get the good driver discount, and you're probably being assessed a surcharge for the accident (doesn't matter what the $$$ amount is of the damage). so basically you get smacked twice :blink:
also, if you had a violation 3 years ago, that DOESN'T mean it's off your record. most insurance companies have some provision to the effect that it's not actually 3 years, it's more like 3 years and 30 or 60 days. it also depends when that other violation happened. if your new policy renewed today, and the accident happened 3 years ago (or 3 years and 30 days or whatever) as of tomorrow, then you'll likely be stuck paying for it until your NEW policy starts.

another thing to consider is that most insurance companies have multiple "lines" of insurance meaning that "easy to insure" drivers get a better base rate and more discount opportunities than "hard to insure" drivers. and each company can pretty make up its own rules about what qualifies as a good driver or not (at least here in illinois). so it is possible that just by having the one accident, you were then marked as a "hard to insure" driver.

that shouldn't have gotten it raised becuase it should have been done 3 years ago and not now

this isn't true entirely either- some companies go back as far as 5 years to determine the "line" that you go into.

and as far as what you told the insurance company about the accident, there wasn't much else to say really-they will look at the accident most likely as an at-fault accident because "theoretically" you could have avoided it by swerving a different direction <_< or taking the bus that day or some other bogus thing like that.

My car accident raised my insurence rate 2 years ago so I got liability. And I don't know if this accident will raise my insurence because it was an uninsured motorist. I know how you are feeling.

if it was an UNinsured motorist, then you MAY lose a discount or two but it will usually depend on who was deemed at-fault.

Sorry it's so long!

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
damn... that's a hell of a rate hike! Maybe try Geico?

When I got my GTP I had to get my own insurnace (had been undermy parents policy) ... they use MET Life... 1 ticket on my record ever, no claims ever, good student discount, loyalty discount, etc... and Met Life wanted 5000/year to insure my GTP and TA

I went to Geico and got insurance for 2400/year ... (which is alot but not bad considering i'm male, under 25, single, and 2 sporty cars)

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Don't feel too bad. I have no accidents on record, no tickets on record and I'm paying $230/month for almost full coverage on my GT, plus a good student discount.

It sucks being 17...I wonder what my insurance would be with a V8 F-body or something :-/

When I turn 18, its dropping to a whole $180/month. This is with General Casualty UNDER my parents name.

My insurance would be $0/month though if my dad wasn't a cop. My parents would have stolen my keys and canceled my insurance...and not let me drive until I can get it under my own policy at 18yrs old. Even then they would try finding a way to prevent me from driving.

3 wreckless driving (1 driving off the road, the other 2 for doing 37 and 40 over), 4 speeding, 1 drag racing :-/ I don't even drive that crazy, its just always from street racing :(

Dream

Addict
Nov 20, 2008
Joliet, IL
Hrm...was checking out quotes for gtp's when i was going to buy one....theres a place In Naperville or Aurora called Expert Personal Insurance or something like that...wanted 95.00 a month for me, full coverage, lowest deductible possible (250), but then again, my driving record is sqeaky clean....no moving voilations, over 21, no accidents, no nothing. (although I dont know how I pulled that one off...I speed all the time :))

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info