3800 BMW M5 (long)

It's been about a week or so since this happened but I figure I'd post this since it was a pretty fun run.

I raced my buddies 2004 M3 a few weeks back and took him just about every time we raced by about a nose... nothing to exciting but ahead of him to say the least. The videos of those races I am still waiting on him to post at his site (racingflix.com).

I figured the M5 wouldn't be that much more trouble, but it was sure a good contender.

So the story starts off like this, I was on my way back home from work one night on 294 just crusing along right before the lake cook exit heading north. I passed up this BMW that I thought was a 5 series or a 7 series but it was took dark to tell and I passed him up at about 85 mph so I really didn't look.

Next thing I know around that turn under lake cook road where 294 merges into 94 this BMW begins to try and pass me on the turn going about 95 + MPH. Well I decided to have some fun so I begin to gun it around the turn (this GTO holds turns like nothing else I have driven).

We both hit the straight away at the same time and then begin to show each other what we can do. I pulled first on him for a little bit but then we remained stable together accelerating towards where the traffic was begginning so we both slow it down.
This guy though was insane... even crazier than me on the highway :eek: he was pulling off some stupid manuvers just to try and get ahead of me. Which he accomplished because I don't risk others when racing.... I ll put it to the floor when there is open road but not through other cars.
Needless to say the race didn't end there I quickly caught up once traffic dispersed, and to my amuzement we both excited the same exit.

Now he was going the other way than I intended but I decided I might be able to get a run at him from a stop so i persued him.

I missed a gear during the persue but there was a red light up ahead so I was sped up to catch the light with the guy... to my shock he just blew through the red light :eek: !! There were no cars around, but still it was messed up. by the time I hit the light it was green so I persued my quest.

I finally at the next light got lined up with him at red light and to my amazement he was this business dressed 40+ year old and he rolled down his window and said "what the f*ck is that thing!!!"

I laughed and said GTO, in which he replied "that thing is fast!"

I asked him what year his was and he said 2001, then he asked if it had the corvett motor in it, and I said yeah, the LS1.

With in a sec of my response he just guns it and takes off so I follow again and we pulled up to the last light before I turned around and he payed me a few more compliments and I did also about his car.

Either which way we never got a run from a dead stop because I think the guy was afraid to be beat by another car. He was in shock I think that some other car kept up with his precious M5.

Fun race none the less. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info