3800 How do you launch?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I'm not used to launching high power Automatic transmission cars. I'll be making the trek up to GLD this Friday and need some tips on how to launch the car.

I'll be running some torco mixed in with the fuel and I'll be pulling the ABS fuse. I have quasi cheater slicks.

Looking for a really low fourteen and a high thirteen if I can figure the car out in one night.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
well... i've only raced my GP twice at the strip... but i tried 2 styles...

First launch I rolled into it off idle and a split second after I began moving forward I gunned it (so I let the tires start rolling first then hit it)

Cut a 2.1 60ft on my stock 17" wheels and tires

2nd time I gunned it off the line and cut a 2.6 hehe ... so from my experience seems like it's best to roll into it then hit it... However may be different since you've got some cheater slicks...

Since it'll be during the day on a Friday shouldn't be lots of people there so you should be able to get enough runs in to test different launches... if it were me I'd launch from a roll first (leave off idle) ... then next time try leaving the line harder and harder until you reach the point where the tires can't hold the power...

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Clean out your trunk (including spare and jack). Run only 1/8th to 1/4 tank of gas. Pump up rear tires to 35-40psi, front tires to 28-29psi. Avoid water, but do a quick burnout to clean off tires (I use e-brake). At the line use 2nd gear, two foot it and bring the revs to 1800-2000. Depending on mods as heavy a throttle as wheelspin allows (if the throttle is not open enough, you will fall out of PE mode and KR will spike) Shift to 3rd at 5400-5500rpm. Also, move your seat up as far as you can, any weight towards the front is a good thing, and remember to put in your octane booster on the way to the track; the computer needs to learn to add the timing. You can get an additional 1-2 degrees of timing by unplugging the IAT sensor. BTW, with no posi or slicks I cut 1.9 60' times. Will be dropping that to 1.8's at IDD...

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
Do a major burn out first. Heat the hell out of the tires for maximum grip. You got slicks so your 60 foots should be nice. Don't brake torque because all you'll do is roast them and won't go nowhere. You should practice at lights launching on the street. That's where I learned to launch without breaking the tires loose street racing you burnout you lose so I launch smooth but with all the power.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info