3800 3 " DP Question

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
i went to a local muff shop to see how much they would charge me to do a 3" DP . the guy said why do you want to do that ? i said its too restrictive .. he said the stock pipe is 2 3/4 you would only gain a 1/4 " he said your better off to do the ubend delete as well as the resinator . which is what i had done .

my question is is this guy right , ? i would hope that he was considering he has the shop and all .... is doing the dp just maximizing flow .. even though its only 1/4" ? didnt make much sence to me ..

iam also considering going 3" all the way back . is this truly beneficial ? or is it kinda overkill. i almost said to just do it . but i wanted to confirm either way . all opinions are greatly appreciated .

I

imported_Ron Vogel

ID of stock dp is about 2"- 1 7/8". It's double walled, the stock flexpipe has a thick flange that is very restrictive. Jim at Fair does them with the stock flexpipe that many here will reccomend, but after looking at it closely, ended up building my own.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

A 3" pipe will drop you on the low end and part throttle power if you aren't that heavily modded. I'd resisted going to 3" for that fact. You can however go to a 3" to the back wheels and add a little backpressure to the y-pipe and duals, then change that up to a more free flowing exhaust at the point you need it. I've changed my exhaust now about 4 times trying to find a balance, and this seems like the best solution. At my y-pipe went to 2 1/4" duals, but 2" is also fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• B
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list