3800 High Temp Paint...

OK, I have some high temp paint laying around the house. It says that it resists heat to 500*F. I went to napa auto parts today and found some that resists 1200*F. When I put my rockers in , I want to paint my valve covers. My question is. With any kind of engine paint, will it hold no matter how hot it gets under the hood? When they state the degrees it holds, is that stating how much the paint can hold before it lets the heat through? I just don't want to paint my valve covers and have it get to hot and the paint get all jacked up. Thanks

Zack

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
At ~500*, the paint will start to heat up, melt and boil (you'll start seeing bubbles in it, then it will flake off when cooled). 500* should work with anything in the engine bay except the exhaust, and I dont know why anyone would want to paint an exhaust. The only reason you would need the 1200* paint is if you're going to paint the block (blocks most likely wouldnt melt the 500* paint, but if you have the block out of the car, most people are serious enough to just get the 1200 paint so nothing can possibly go wrong). 1200 is mainly used for brake calipers.

Valve covers don't get that hot, and if they did, i guarantee they wouldnt make them out of plastic. So you should definately be fine painting them with the 500*F paint.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Z
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list