3800 Uhh Ohhh Not good...

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=495318

WARNING: All K&N And Other Rechargeable Air Filter users
The following is a memo from GM stating the use of rechargeable air filters may cause transmission shift problems, engine driveability problems & SES Light On problems (throwing codes). It also states these problems will NOT be covered under warranty. Yes, in part of the memo, it states "excessively oiled" filters. But for the most part, it reads any use of this type of filter & these issues won't be covered. I just figured some of you might want to know so you can throw a paper filter in if you take your car in for a problem.

SERVICE - ALL BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, GMC TRUCK, ISUZU, OLDSMOBILE, PONTIAC AND HUMMER DEALERS

Subject: A/T Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or SES Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter -- 2004 and Prior Cars and Lt Duty Trucks and 2003-2004 HUMMER H2
Message #: VSS20040056

Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 will be available in SI on March 18, 2004.

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES)
Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter

Models: 2004 and All Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2004 HUMMER H2

DO THIS
First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively oiled air filter

DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:

1. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

2. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

3. Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
Its real simple why it causes shift problems.

A major part of the shift logic is engine load. Engine load is largely influenced by MAF reading. The oil will damage the maf sensor which will in turn affect idle, cruising, and shifting due to incorrect maf readings messing up engine load calculation.

This is why some people with AFC/ICCU's have trans problems.

Charles

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by emersonhart13@Mar 18 2004, 09:01 AM
Is there a way to clean off the "excessive oil?"

Thanks,

John
Well, letting the K&N sit for a while after oiling it (like an hour or two) is the best defense, only oil it from the outside. Any fabric degreaser will clean the element, I use woolite upolstery cleaner sprayed on and let it sit. Then fill up my sink with bleach/hot water and rinse it in and out of the sink several times. Then cool water rinse several times. The K&N filter cleaner works, but it takes a lot of it to get it clean, so I switched to my method. Then use the K&N filter oil sprayed on lightly from the outside of the element. You see light splotches of white element with the red oil, but let it sit for a bit. The cotton weave will eventualy soak it up fairly evenly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info