First dragstrip outing for the 3.8 turbo Nascar

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I could but the tell you what to do a guy tells you where to drive. It was sunny and warm so no water stayed on the track anyways

I have never been to a track that wouldn't let you drive around and back in. About the only time you wouldn't is if running bigs n littles. Interesting. I'm sure the weight distro isn't helping whatsoever, either.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I could but the tell you what to do a guy tells you where to drive. It was sunny and warm so no water stayed on the track anyways

your front tires can drag water pretty far, even if there's no tread to help sop up the water. you were driving over partially moistened track, traction was surely lacking.

talk to the track guys and let em know whats up. hard for em to know what you want to do if you dont tel em.

they are safety minded enough to make sure you run by yourself... but not safety minded enough to keep you from dragging water into a slip n slide....

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
It had some 1.4s in there no doubt but my focus was entirely on the handling aspect or lack of..

Played with alignment and suspension nothing really made a difference. Seems like it all comes down to weight distribution. Id have to move all accessories up front and more ballast. I had 80lbs on the nose already.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
your front tires can drag water pretty far, even if there's no tread to help sop up the water. you were driving over partially moistened track, traction was surely lacking.

talk to the track guys and let em know whats up. hard for em to know what you want to do if you dont tel em.

they are safety minded enough to make sure you run by yourself... but not safety minded enough to keep you from dragging water into a slip n slide....

Don't think it was the problem honestly. I'd love to blame the track... although a good track I would have been at least able to 1/8 mile 100% throttle. However the main problem wasn't traction. The car was unstable over 100 mph even off the throttle. Very twitchy. It went straight but any steering input would cause a big direction change. Lack of traction at 300 feet did make the problem way worse.

Traction off the line was great. No complaints. I could have probably 60 foot 1.4s but after 100 feet the sticky groove got much narrower and at 300 feet you could barely see it. You can see that on the video. There were not enough cars there to make the track sticky past 300 feet.

If water was a problem off the line would have been slippery too. But the radial cars, those could make the track moist possibly so yes they should force people around the water box with street radials, like other tracks do.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Yeah that will make it pull pretty good, I took mine off once on my turbo car went straight towards the ditch every time I floored it, went home and put it right back on

Thanks... I never tried removing them. I couldn't figure out why it handled like shit above X speed any time the steering needed to be moved.

There are other issues but that was probably 50% of it or more.

So now I have the ZZP a-arms... do you need to flip the sway bar ? the V has to be down or it interferes with the tie rods... ?

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
I think it depends on what year your suspension is out of, on my 04 I could leave my sway bar just how it was with the zzp front control arms, but the sway bar is different and mounts different from the older 97-03 to the 04+ cars
My sway bar and k frame is from a 97 or 2000 GP

I installed it the right way. I just have to limit suspension travel. Which I already wanted to do. But the system has to be dead reliable because if it fails and I take a bump it could bend the tie rods and cause a wreck.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
yeah I looked at that with TG's setup but the angularity on the pancake bushings is quite bad...though I am working with two cars with the solid RAT swaybars from back in the day....neither of em will let me cut em up to weld on tabs for an upper heim that's more in line with the zzp arms.

I would love to be able to dial in some swaybar preload or at least be able to adjust for a true neutral with the drive in the car.

if you have the thick hollow gmpp swaybars you can cut off the ends and weld in a clevise to give you nearly an extra inch of room for an upper/lower 3/8ths heim

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info