AFRs on pump gas

What kind of air fuel ratios are you guys ending up with? I have spoiled myself for the last couple years on chilled intercooling Methanol or E85 running as lean as 13.3 on the wideband, but I was planning on going back to pump gas...and after looking at the narrowband numbers on this Regal and still seeing a lot of KR in higher gears, I am thinking I may be dreaming shooting for 11.7:1 with 15+psi of hot air. What are you turbo and small pulley m90 guys running for WOT AFRs?

This is on the adapter plate Regal. So it's a 100% stock tune at this point. So like 10 degrees under full load is what it shoots for...I am basically at zero advance after KR. I have the ability to change it though, just haven't since I was shooting for an absolute minimal setup. Maybe I should pull it back 5 degrees across the board and see how that does? I am running about the coldest plugs you can get for these...ngkb8efs. They are non-projected as well, so it shouldn't be an issue with that side of things.

I cannot, due to having to clearance the bypass valve actuator. The lower diaphragm is not sealed now, so the factory boost control setup will not work. It may not matter. I just drained the oil to determine if my tapping noise was getting louder or if it was just my imagination. It is in fact a nice sparkly bronze color. No chunks though, just a lot of sparkle. No sizeable chunks in the filter, but it looks as if this tired old motor couldn't handle the boost. Headed to pick up some nice thick glue to put in there for some more runs...would love it if I could get the knock retard issues worked out before putting a new engine in so I don't put that one at excessive risk.

Looks like my devil-may-care strategy on this build might have been a bit too aggressive.

It is definitely toast. It will be alright though, I have a spare drivetrain.

I turned up the fuel pressure hammered it hard on the way home. It is rattling very loud now. But the good news is, with 75psi base fuel pressure on an otherwise stock tune, I saw 0 KR, so I do think being lean was the issue. That was at 11 degrees timing at WOT. It made 34.7 lb/min on the MAF at 4800 rpms...which should extrapolate to almost crank 400hp at 5500. An obvious decline from my previous run, but at higher RPM on an engine with one rod bearing pretty much gone...probably not too bad.

I at least got that one run out of it so I have an idea of where I need the fuel pressure to be before I swap another engine in and blow that one up too. I have a parts regal a year older with complete driveline that did run and drive at one point, just missing various parts and pieces. I will probably just do a full cradle swap...I think that can be done in a day. I'm off Wednesday, so if nothing else comes up, that's the plan.

Unless ur WBO2 can be re-curved for different fuels, I would use Lambda as the guide. The 10% ethanol we have here in Chicago has a stoich of 14.2 not 14.7 but Lambda will always be 1 for stoich regardless of fuel. So whereas I would shoot for 13.0AFR WOT w pure gas, my ZT-2 WB would indicate 12.6 for 10%.

I do appreciate the distinction and that you chimed in to make me aware of it in case I had not been, however for my purposes I ignore that and just always tune to and speak in gasoline AFRs.

Lambda is lambda, afr is afr. Widebands automatically correct for any fuel based on a gasoline scale anyway because they measure lambda and display AFR based on a calculation of AFR based on fuel type...they don't really care what the fuel is, that is just used to change the display to match actual air/fuel ratio. I don't care about that. I leave mine set on gasoline AFR, and discuss my tunes as such because that is what I started tuning on, that's what I'm used to, and it keeps me from having to do complicated conversions in my head.

Your wideband reading doesn't change with fuel type, unless you change the display setting. If you are tuning to the same lambda numbers and you switch fuel types without changing the gauge settings, you should still be tuning to the same indicated AFR, unless the fuel type just happens to like a richer or leaner mixture.

Methanol, for example, is going to require 2.3x or so the flow rate of gasoline. However, if you take a stock car, tune to 12.5:1 afr, then put in injectors that flow 2.3x more and switch to methanol, your wideband is still going to be reading 12.5:1 afr...unless you switch the gauge settings to methanol, in which case it will read whatever that lambda equivalent is in methanol (maybe 5:1 or something, don't know off the top of my head). Obviously that assumes perfect-world math and it will probably drift a little bit, but it will be a very close starting point.

It's unimportant on this car though because I was too lazy to hook up the wideband, so I have been approximating based on stock O2 voltage...which is highly unreliable, obviously, but I assumed the factory tune would be pig rich and I didn't have to worry about starting off too lean. Clearly that is not the case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info