weight difference

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
I have looked and find nothing concrete how much more does the alum oil pan and bracket weigh vs iron pan and motor mount. tired of the motor sitting at a slight angle using the iron pan and alum subframe. if we are talking <5 lbs difference then I am attacking the l26 in the JY this weekend and swapping it out on the white car. if its more i will have to think about it.

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
well I am trying to figure out why the engine sits at aslight rake enough so that the pulley hits the fuse box. just thinking for now but I am trying to keep as much weight off the car as possible and hide other weight redux mods. hoping to get it sub 3450 but not holding my breath. I have a couple things in the works for it that will drop 50-75 lbs but that is a down the road mod

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
well I am trying to figure out why the engine sits at aslight rake enough so that the pulley hits the fuse box. just thinking for now but I am trying to keep as much weight off the car as possible and hide other weight redux mods. hoping to get it sub 3450 but not holding my breath. I have a couple things in the works for it that will drop 50-75 lbs but that is a down the road mod

the way that is typed out. you want to pulley to hit the fuse box.....

if that is happeneing now, your mounts are shot / somethign else is wrong, has nothign to wo with pan weight.

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
the way that is typed out. you want to pulley to hit the fuse box.....

if that is happeneing now, your mounts are shot / somethign else is wrong, has nothign to wo with pan weight.

Brand new parts
subframe, motor, trans, LCAs, all gaskets minus head gaskets, square dogbone poly, endlinks poly, sway mounts, everything from the firewall forward is damn near new or upgraded the car has 205 on the body but the motor and trans has 108
It is currently hitting the box so I am not sure wtf is going on but its annoying

Its finally getting nice enough to get into the garage and get working on it. i would love a cheap easy fix to get this road worthy incase the other car shells the trans as its not happy currently and found metal shards on the magnets when I dropped the pan so I know its time is coming. I was hoping to have it ready to club clash it in a couple weeks but with this I am not sure.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
still has nothing to do with motor weight.

bad mount, missing mount, incorrectly installed fuse box.

something along those lines.

people always complained about pullys hitting the over flow tanks. turned out to be over flow tanks instaled incorrectly. thewould miss the notch at the bottom and it would swing or shift and hit a pully,

i believe there is a tab / notch unde the fuse box. if you miss the slot where that goes i can see it shifting it closer to the motor causing it to hit a pully

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
still has nothing to do with motor weight.

bad mount, missing mount, incorrectly installed fuse box.

something along those lines.

people always complained about pullys hitting the over flow tanks. turned out to be over flow tanks instaled incorrectly. thewould miss the notch at the bottom and it would swing or shift and hit a pully,

i believe there is a tab / notch unde the fuse box. if you miss the slot where that goes i can see it shifting it closer to the motor causing it to hit a pully

Guess I should have mentioned I have a alum cradle that was put in too.
I know there is a notch and i am just wondering if getting the l32 pan will shift things back into place so to speak. I am just trying to find if there is an actual weight # as i googled for prolly an hr and found nada about the weight but I have heard before that the alum pan is heavier than the metal pan. with the alum cradle I am wondering if that is the issue since I had heard there was issues but for the life of me i cant find those posts again.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
start with loosening the four trans mount to trans case bracket bolts and make sure the trans is sitting down all the way. then you can also loosen the 6 passenger side engine mount bracket to block bolts and make sure the bracket is hanging down properly when you tighten the bolts typically people tighten the cylinder 1 bolts first and it twist the bracket up for it which makes the engine sit down farther.

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
start with loosening the four trans mount to trans case bracket bolts and make sure the trans is sitting down all the way. then you can also loosen the 6 passenger side engine mount bracket to block bolts and make sure the bracket is hanging down properly when you tighten the bolts typically people tighten the cylinder 1 bolts first and it twist the bracket up for it which makes the engine sit down farther.

after following this advice I was able to get it all figured out the mount would allow that side to drop a good 1.5 inches or so now I am to the solid or poly mount decision. I have heard the zzp mounts are ok but crack too ez. Any insight on this? also does anyone besides zzp sell poly mounts I did a quick look on the phone at wbodystore but didnt see them.

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
The zzp poly mount and a little bit of plate steel was the trick. I got it sitting right now just have to finish the other small projects before I can get back to this and get it on the road. This weekend we chopped the top on the gto parts car and took all the other usable sheet metal off and all the suspension so it will just be a carcass going to the yard this weekend

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info