3800 Lightening 102

I

imported_Ron Vogel

OK, I know it's sacrelege, But the hole saw came out today! I had off the front bumper cover to fix some rattles today. The bumper bracket was host to a to a little lightening. I did make sure to retain structural integrety, so no big deal. I probably only got 2 lbs out of it total, well maybe three. Anyway, so I'm on a mission - I want to shed at least 75-100lbs off the car.

One thing if anyone knows the answer to this. A car in the lot at my work has Aluminum calipers on it. It's a 2000ish Chevy Malibu, and they look like a factory upgrade caliper. The rotor size looks the same as ours, but the problem is the bolt up. What platform is the Malibu based on? I'd like to swap these in due to the effectiveness of losing unsprung weight.

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
I learned from Scott that a aluminum Monti Carlo cradle is only worth about 20# of weight savings over stock.
I thought they were lighter. Thought I would mention it.
Im going to remove the bumpers and mock up a aluminum braces.
There is a race brake kit out there INTENSE......See what they are using.

VHGTP

Regular
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Feb 22 2004, 01:17 AM
OK, I know it's sacrelege, But the hole saw came out today! I had off the front bumper cover to fix some rattles today. The bumper bracket was host to a to a little lightening. I did make sure to retain structural integrety, so no big deal. I probably only got 2 lbs out of it total, well maybe three. Anyway, so I'm on a mission - I want to shed at least 75-100lbs off the car.

One thing if anyone knows the answer to this. A car in the lot at my work has Aluminum calipers on it. It's a 2000ish Chevy Malibu, and they look like a factory upgrade caliper. The rotor size looks the same as ours, but the problem is the bolt up. What platform is the Malibu based on? I'd like to swap these in due to the effectiveness of losing unsprung weight.
the Chevy Malibu is based on the same platform as the Grand Am...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list