Talk about transmissions and converters

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
Looking to get a looser torque converter than the Aurora one for the 4t80e rear transmission. Who do you guys recommend for a top notch converter.

Jdredd, were you able to lock your converter while shifting or only after the shift with your custom 4t65-HD transmission ?
Any tips for the 4T65-HD up front as far as converter choice. The stock GTP converter seem to be pretty close to what I needed. Took about 2 seconds to build good boost but I could take slightly looser and more efficient if that's possible.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
Looking to get a looser torque converter than the Aurora one for the 4t80e rear transmission. Who do you guys recommend for a top notch converter.

Jdredd, were you able to lock your converter while shifting or only after the shift with your custom 4t65-HD transmission ?
Any tips for the 4T65-HD up front as far as converter choice. The stock GTP converter seem to be pretty close to what I needed. Took about 2 seconds to build good boost but I could take slightly looser and more efficient if that's possible.

I went with the ZZP converter with a 3000 stall

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
make sure your contacting precision industries for the custom converter, though since you want a built 65e up front it'd probably be worth it to go through dave since he's undoubtedly wanting to tackle the 80e converter problem now that his gp is cruising with one. youd be sure to get a good solution, and the restall is quite nice in case you goof on the calculated tq/stall speed

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014

At the time of the car actually running, I was still on a ZZP 3000 stall. Which
had bad slip once i started to get around 19psi. If I had locked it, probably
would have totally died on me.

The new conveter which has yet to be ran, can be locked in 2nd and 3rd.
But it costs $$$ and needs a spacer between motor and trans made.

In your case, you may be able to get away with a regular PI billet converter
and lock it in 3rd. They don't recommend at all doing so, but since its doing
roughly? half the work now, maybe can get away with it? I think this is what
ZZP does with their 300-400 psi line pressure.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Zzp told me to never attempt to lock there converter at all ever or it would self destruct, but you can cut power to the pressure control switch via a finger switch and default to max line pressure I noticed quite a bit of difference doing that it floods the converter and helps tighten it up alittle

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Zzp told me to never attempt to lock there converter at all ever or it would self destruct, but you can cut power to the pressure control switch via a finger switch and default to max line pressure I noticed quite a bit of difference doing that it floods the converter and helps tighten it up alittle

I forgot about that part... Thats what they had me do to my ZZP one.
I think its what was the final straw to it, as it started to whine. I
had zero gains the few runs I tried it. I think problem was for me was
I was almost to the point of max pressure anyways (going by value read
from the PCM) so flipping the switch only netted a tiny extra more.

I think problem was having it like that while just sitting there as it would
thud, but matt said they would keep it always off for race day, and their
drag car had it totally disabled. Maybe having switch to flip after say
the 1st shift to flood it while moving and flip it when done might
have helped a bit more maybe with the cheapy ZZP converter.

As for locking it, i guess its debatable. Some do it for dyno and track
runs in 3rd every so often and seem to survive. Just zero clue on
how long that luck will last with the PI converter.

twinv6gtp

Turbo enthusiast
Jul 27, 2014
I know it's popular in the 4l60 4l70 drag racing world to lock the converter with built trans/billet converters.

I always ran full line pressure so I wonder if that is why my 4t80e converter was always so tight and was hard to build boost on. Although my 4t65 stock converter was easy to build boost on and I also ran full line pressure on that transmission.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info