3800 gasoline for GTP

Kyle

TCG Elite Member
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove
Originally posted by iliveonnitro@Feb 13 2004, 06:47 PM
Always 93, with a L36 GT.
I used to get 93 always too. But I found out it is a waste, I need to find an article about it, that the L36 was built for crappy gas. It was an article with an interveiw with one of the gm guy involved in making it, basically he just said it was built for your average 87 octane gas anything higher is just a waste. So thats what the article said. I switched and I haven't noticed it being slower or worse mileage.

horist

Geek
Nov 10, 2008
Lake Zurich
I always use 93 octane... in both cars (1 cause it's 11.3:1 compression, the other ... gtp... cause it's supercharged)

Octane is a measurment of a fuels RESISTANCE to detonation... the lower the ocatne the greater chance of having pre-ignition/detonation (Knock Retard)

Fill up w/a bad tank of 87 octane (tank ends up 85 octane instead of 87) and you're prolly gonna have detonation ... and get KR

to me it's not worth the potential risk of damaging my engine... granted you can use 87 octane if you so choose and you *probably* wouldn't have a problem if it's stock... but there's a greater chance of having issues ... plus 93 octane is what 20/gallon more? if you fillup 20 gallons a week that's only 4 bux extra a week... to me it's worth the insurance...

Regarding the L36 being built for crappy gas (L36 = Supercharged 3800 right?)

.. GM builds in safe guards to ALL their cars... even the LS1s...

The way the LS1s work is if you get consistent Knock Retard it will kick you into different timing tables of the PCM ... these tables reduce timing significanly ... so it's safe to run the car on lower octane.. .however performance is greatly decreased (I had an issue w/my knock sensors last year in my LS1 ... was sent to low octane tables... and I lost OVER 1 second in the 1/4 mile just from decreased timing advance).

So GM does design the PCMs to protect the engine from Knock... however this protection can only be implemented after the fact (after you have detonation/pre-ignition) ... and by that time it may be too late...

While on the subject... if anyone things putting lower octane gas in and then dumping octane booster in will make up... wrong :) when octane boosters say wil raise octain 3-5 or 4-7 points... that means if you have a tank of 93 octane... it will make it equivalent to 93.3-93.5 or 93.4-93.7 ... a point is a tenth of an octane :) so don't waste your m,oney on octane booster...

Also.. keep in mind that running higher than required octane gas can actually slow you down... (since it's harder to ignite) .... though I've been known to run a tank of 100 octane in my car ... just for the smell :) nothing quite like burning race fuel out a car w/out cats :)

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
WOW, very well put Horist. 1st never use a octane booster-its non-sense. Their claims are not going to increase your octane just damage your cat.(what they use to increase your octane is not regulated) Its where THEY put the decimal......Add a can....It may increase your octane 1 tenth ( .1 not 1.0)
You right, octane variences differ-it used to cost you to challenge gas station-not now. Now how about moisture??????Most high octane non-leaded (very important) use methel alcohol to raise octane. Just in case, never use leaded fuel in your GP-the lead will damage your 02's and cat.

Im not a chemist but their are cooling properties to the faster evaperization rate and increased combustionability. That combats dettonation. You can still have KR if your combo is unbalanced. Its the residual pressure that artifficially detonates under compression. Your gas station is like a box of chocalates-you never know what you are going to get.
You'll never miss with 100. Timming is EVERYTHING!!!!
Its not the smell.....Its the combustionability of the fuel. Higher octanes are predisposed to KR-its the timming of the mixtures burn rate that helps. The quicker more complete burn yeilds less residual fuel to be ignited by the increased speed of SCharging has on the combustion process.

I beleive we would all be running alcohol in our cars if the EPA didnt determine that the alcohol fuel process releases more emmissions than than a alcohol running car. The higher octane will cause our machines to run cleaner and more efficently(add more compression-more power). Think of the hypothetical compression ratio you could run.

94-100 is not a fashion statement. If you can afford it you'll run better. What jagges me off is are you getting what you pay for? This may add to the phenomen of "factory freaks" even though I believe core shifts, casting, and the mass production of electronic componants do have an effect.

02 gtp

As I said when I made my post I am new to this and have never heard my engine refered to with an acronymn. I have an 02 GTP 3800 supercharged series III maybe not sure on which series. So I guess mines the L 32, but what are the others L67 L36? Regular Grand Prix?

OH and why in the hell does GM always use metric I was always curious about that its such a pain in the ass. Are they built in Mexico or Canada or something?

if you have a 02, then you have a series II. L67

series III started with the 04 gp's

your car was build in Fairfax KS

What is a pain in the ass with metric? are you referring to the engine size listed as 3.8L? if you want ci, then it is 231 cubic inches.

Metric is a far bettery system than U.S. standards. the best part is no fractions!

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Originally posted by 98GPGT+Feb 13 2004, 07:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (98GPGT @ Feb 13 2004, 07:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-iliveonnitro@Feb 13 2004, 06:47 PM
Always 93, with a L36 GT.
I used to get 93 always too. But I found out it is a waste, I need to find an article about it, that the L36 was built for crappy gas. It was an article with an interveiw with one of the gm guy involved in making it, basically he just said it was built for your average 87 octane gas anything higher is just a waste. So thats what the article said. I switched and I haven't noticed it being slower or worse mileage. [/b][/quote]
I'm also cammed, and my DHP allows my motor to shift 900 rpm above stock...I need the 93 to prevent any knock...and I drive it hard.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info