3800 Products you would like to see?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

OK, here's the deal. Most of the CNC TB stuff is worked out, and the next round of "stuff" needs to be developed. There are a couple of things I'm doing for myself this spring that may be better made in mass if people want them, so I'm gauging interest with this.
-Adjustible engine supports (heim ends/tubular steel/mounting brackets)
-Adjustible boost control/delay
-Egr spoof (I know it's been done, but should be easy to do. And if I make one for myself, other people may want this.)

I also want to know what people are looking for, so I'm asking. Keep in mind that I really am only interested in things I can readily fabricate. There are many things that go beyond the scope of what I intend to do. My goal is to have a low cost option/high quality product to offer this community. As you all have seen, our choices are limited. So if you are frustrated that something you want you can't get for your car let me know, and I will see if it is possible to do in a more inexpensive way, and if all else fails a lot of one-off betas will be made this year.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Diavolo@Feb 13 2004, 10:51 AM
Is the adjustable boost like an ability to change your boost (up to your max) or have it kick in at a later rpm (easier to launch ?)

I like the sound of it though.
Yep both. I had it on the car for awhile, and then tore it apart for parts. I have the circuit working well, it's how to trigger it for cheap without making it an eyesore that's the problem. If you want to run a 3.0 pulley at 8lbs of boost it'll do it. It's just electronics controlling a system already on the car.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I had some rounds on the delay thing on club gp. There has been a lot of intrest in it. It needs to be tested real well first. I'll be up front about it, since I have some concerns. You can't simply slap on a 2.8 pulley and expect to run it if the car is setup for a 3.4. It uses the SC bypass system to lower pressure in the upper intake and recycle it before the rotors. In effect eliminates boost stacking, prevents the rotors from cavitating the air, and will lower charge temps. The problem? As always, fuel trims. Excess boost siphoned off from the bypass not only makes it's way to the rotors, but backflushes through the TB. It does that on a stock motor, let alone one with the potential for 13-15lbs of boost. During WOT operation the motor relys heavily on the MAF to provide information to the PCM for STFT changes. I suspect that idle to 3500 rpm will be OK, but as boost builds higher it will become a problem (possibly). sHould I make a delay and boost controller in one unit, or make two seperate things?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by 98GPGT@Feb 13 2004, 04:59 PM
Well ron what is/does the egr spoof do? Maybe I'm just dumb and for some reason can't think of what egr stand for. But I am a newb so whats that thing do for you?
It prolly won't do you much good on a GT, but here it is...The ECU sends a signal to the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) to open a valve that mixes exhaust gases with intake air to cool down combustion. The byproduct is carbon build up. Many people such as myself block the egr, but due to the fact it reports flow to the ECU, it needs to be open on one side, letting in umetered oxygen. This causes LT fuel trims to be funky at medium cruise. By putting a spoof in there, the egr can be completely blocked without throwing an engine code.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by Ripn12s@Feb 13 2004, 05:11 PM
Ron,

How bout adjustable coilovers cheaper then HELDs
I don't think that would work, I could get the stuff to do it, but it might be too heavy to be practical. Shoot me a link to it and I'll check it out, I can get aircraft grade aluminum pretty reasonably form this machine shop at Dupage Co. airport, which is perfect for suspension work, it's super strong, but will fatigue if welded. Coils and shocks then are the only obsticles, but when I get the business licence set-up, I could go to the manufactrer for them.

LP 3800

Addict
Nov 24, 2008
The spoof would be great for all the people who are getting intercooled. That way they can leave it blocked off.
I would like our club to be able to offer P/P superchargers. This is turning into a big selling product and we need to get that price down a couple hundred. It is a great mod and does no look that hard to do

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Last year I messed with it a little, had a light hooked to it so I could see where it kicked in while I was driving during different conditions. I'd rather do the electronic thing. Signal generators are pretty easy to build, plans are all over the web for them, so faking the signal to the computer is very doable. Just have to make it cheap and hideable.

sweetness

Addict
Nov 12, 2008
How about an electronically controlled theormostat?? So you can run open loop at the track, 160* on the road in summer, and 180 or 195 in the winter or until warm up. have it be variable throughout a range and changable in the car. Run it so the solenoid keeps it closed, instead of opening it, so if it fails the thermo runs in open loop instead of closing off the engine from the radiator.

BC

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Originally posted by sweetness@Feb 17 2004, 09:57 PM
How about an electronically controlled theormostat?? So you can run open loop at the track, 160* on the road in summer, and 180 or 195 in the winter or until warm up. have it be variable throughout a range and changable in the car. Run it so the solenoid keeps it closed, instead of opening it, so if it fails the thermo runs in open loop instead of closing off the engine from the radiator.

BC
I'm not even exaggerating when i say that is complete genious! i'd definetly be interested in something like that!

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by cacicgtp7+Feb 17 2004, 10:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cacicgtp7 @ Feb 17 2004, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sweetness@Feb 17 2004, 09:57 PM
How about an electronically controlled theormostat??  So you can run open loop at the track, 160* on the road in summer, and 180 or 195 in the winter or until warm up.  have it be variable throughout a range and changable in the car.  Run it so the solenoid keeps it closed, instead of opening it, so if it fails the thermo runs in open loop instead of closing off the engine from the radiator. 

BC
I'm not even exaggerating when i say that is complete genious! i'd definetly be interested in something like that! [/b][/quote]
That could be done, but on our cars a fan control would have to be used, or the temp wouldn't actually stay at 160. Along the same lines, and a bit more reliable would be to have the thermostat open fully during WOT, that would reduce cavitation in the water pump and free up a few HP. I'll check both ideasout and see what I can come up with. If it means fabricating a new thrmostat housing, I'll bring it up higher so it can be filled from there to aid in purging.

AutoDummy

Nov 26, 2008
I'd really like to see an affordable alternative to BMR's adjustable front/rear lateral arms. Maybe tube trailing arms similar to theirs too....

I'd like to use my MP3 player with the stock head unit.

Spark plug wire holders that will keep the wires off the s/c housing.

FUEL RAILS!!!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info