3800 A Better Gasket for Exhaust?

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Every time I've used the stock manifold to downpipe gasket, I get an exhaust leak at that junction. Is there a better gasket out there? At $7 a pop (dealer price), it's not cheap to be replacing it for a hit or miss fix.

I've heard people using gasket makers in conjunction with the stock gasket, but that didnt work for them either.

I once saw a GP with an orange, thick (1/2 inch!), putty looking gasket on his manifold/dp. He said that didnt leak.

J.E.T.
'97 red GTP

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Actually it's not rated all that high. There's some ultra seal copper that's rated higher, but doesn't work as well. I lay on a 1/8" thick bead on both sides and let it set up, then it's a little pliable so vibrations don't affect the gasket too much. I tried it after one of the car mags listed it in one of those tips and tricks section, and worked great. I've found also furnace cement works well, but can't handle the vibration. Helped me with a few winter fixes to get by for a couple of months. Comes in cans or squeeze tubes in the HVAC dept's of most hardware stores.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• J
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list