3800 What's wrong with my car now?

00GTPSC

Addict
Dec 20, 2008
Ok, i blew the Altinator on wed. I took it to Pontiac to get it fixed since it is still under warranty, they fixed it and it seemed fine, i got home and when i came to a complete stop, the car shut off, and it took a second for it to start back up, not right away like it usually does. Do i just need to replace that old battery that was in there when the altinator went out, or is there something else wrong that i should take it back for.

Jim

rob

TCG Elite Member
Dec 28, 2008
Cant be sure its a battery problem-how did it turn over or did it. If your considering a battery problem:

1)Visual inspect it. Is it swollen? Some times the internal regulater sticks on overcharging or off undercharge. If its swollen shitcan it.

2)recheck your connections do not overtighten clean them and check for corrosion. If there leaking its probably swollen-shitcan it

3)Most important Check voltage and LOAD TEST battery-this will tell you real quickly the condition of the cells.

4)Check starting current a couple of times. If its dropping voltages rapidly shit can the battery-This test is simular to the load test.

If your battery is in good condition and this is an intermittant problem-Go the the starter soleniod. But its most likely a gear reduction(expensive) and comes as a complete unit. Do a good inspection of the wires to and at the starter-look for freys and loose or dirty and corrosion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info