3800 1997 Grand Prix -- anything to look at?

I

imported_GraFFix

not really fish..mine hasnt been replaced and works just fine...other people whos racks worked fine before the recall fix now have issues with their racks..thats why I never did mine. I figure if it ever goes bad then ill get it fixed.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
power steering pump failing

Is this a recent recall on '97s ? I need to take mine in then.

Things to look for in a 1997 (and some other years)
- Steering rack recall performed
- sweaty oil pan -make sure its not drippy.
- Fuel pump sending unit - make sure the fuel gauge works
- SRS airbag light on - this is a cable that needs to be replaced

Hmmm, thats all I can think off specific to '97s...

J.E.T.
'97 Red GTP

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
97 and 98s have had more problems then the others. When I was looking in 2001, a few dealers told me to stay away from theh 97 that I was looking at because of problems.(trans, HUD, electrical, steering rack, etc)

Also, they dont have as many options as the 99.

I think the 99 model year is what most people look for. They say most of the bugs were fixed by then, and I believe, has the most options and features available.

After 99, they started doing shit like taking the lights off the door panels when you open the door, and things like that.

the 03 model years they did a lot of re adjustments and a lot of mods dont fit right and things like that.

Forgive me if Im wrong, but I think most factory freaks are 99s.....I know most of the fastest cars on CLUBGP are 97s, but I believe this is do to their cheap price to attain, and, the people were the original owners with more time to mod........

Also, more money and time thrown into the car when comparred to someone who just bought a 2000 or so.

my .02

Go with a 99-02 GTP

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Jan 13 2004, 08:11 PM
97 and 98s have had more problems then the others. When I was looking in 2001, a few dealers told me to stay away from theh 97 that I was looking at because of problems.(trans, HUD, electrical, steering rack, etc)

Also, they dont have as many options as the 99.

I think the 99 model year is what most people look for. They say most of the bugs were fixed by then, and I believe, has the most options and features available.

After 99, they started doing shit like taking the lights off the door panels when you open the door, and things like that.

the 03 model years they did a lot of re adjustments and a lot of mods dont fit right and things like that.

Forgive me if Im wrong, but I think most factory freaks are 99s.....I know most of the fastest cars on CLUBGP are 97s, but I believe this is do to their cheap price to attain, and, the people were the original owners with more time to mod........

Also, more money and time thrown into the car when comparred to someone who just bought a 2000 or so.

my .02

Go with a 99-02 GTP
They say more 97s than 99s are factory freaks due to the supercharger valves or something like that. The trans I have to say is solid from a 97 from experience. My buddy traded his 97 in with ZERO tranny, engine(including supercharger) and electrical mishaps.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
my car has had 0 problems related to the engine/trans/SC.......@79k

I only needed new gaskets on my engine(rear main, valve covers, oil pan which was done for free.

Other problems have just been the window and radio controls...thats it.

Also, my car has been modded by the previous owner who had the 3.4 on since 20k.....then all my stuff I put on at 55k....

I am very happy with this car......but I do maintain the shit out of it.....so..... :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info