Cold start tuning question?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Can anyone explain to me that my car with a XP cam will not idle on a cold start with out chugging and stalling out? It has been doing this for a very long time but because I dont drive the car in the winter I have never tried to fix it but it is just something that I would like to take care of.

I have noticed that upon cold start it will lean itself out and start chugging really badly until it stalls out. If I hold the throttle around 1500 rpm it will be fine until the ECT reaches 70 to 80 degrees then, it will idle normally.

I tried to raise the idle for cold start to 1400 rpm and it does not make a difference to I returned that back to stock. I also adjusted my good fuel spark table back to stock from 1400 rpm down.

Major engine mods are that would affect this

XP cam
E85
60lb injectors
N* throttle body
LQ4 MAF
AFC
DHP tuner

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you have to experiment to find what it likes but eventually you can sort it out.

thing is to make your wideband power up/warm up fully before a datalogged cold start inducing a small vac leak can give you a temp lean condition to do a quick test if it wants to idle better leaner than your current settings, alternatly you can use a propane torch to add fuel temporarily.

once the countdown timer puts you into closed loop youll have to play with other tables but the iac idle speed vs ect is quite handy...its amazing what just a 25-75rpm bump will do

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
With E85...its going to be a PITA in cold weather. Like James mentioned.... commanded afr by coolant modifier table. Try adding a little bit more....maybe 5% richer and start from there. Until the engine warms up...the fuel will not fully evaporate for combustion. Unburnt fuel will show lean on a wideband.

Keep timing stock.

How old is the e85 in the tank?

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
With E85...its going to be a PITA in cold weather. Like James mentioned.... commanded afr by coolant modifier table. Try adding a little bit more....maybe 5% richer and start from there. Until the engine warms up...the fuel will not fully evaporate for combustion. Unburnt fuel will show lean on a wideband.

Keep timing stock.

How old is the e85 in the tank?

Right now the e85 is from last fall. My low fuel light is on so a fresh tank will be soon

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
My turbo car would legit not start at all under 35* it would crank until the battery died, has a little to do with the vapor pressure of e85 vs gas/ In the winter they blend butane in the gas to raise the vapor pressure and make cars start easier ethanol has a lower vp than regular gas so starting is even harder, mix new stuff in ASAP last year I left the car sit with e85 and I tested it in the spring the car wouldn't even start on it it absorbed so much water over the winter the test wouldn't come out it was so bad

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info