Transmission is making noise - kind of a knocking sound

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I snapped the input shaft in my trans the last time I went racing. So, to keep from having to push the car around, I pulled the trans out, installed a new input shaft, new drive chains, hardened 4th clutch hub, and a new differential. The drive chains were stretched pretty far, the 4th clutch hub had worn splines, and the diff broke the roll pin. So, after replacing all that and putting it back together, I got the car running last night. The transmission makes kind of a knocking noise, which sounds like it's coming from the differential area. It does it not matter if it's in park, neutral, or drive. However, when it's in drive or reverse, the noise is louder.

I took a video....not sure if that helps.

Anyone have an idea what it could be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5uUBg9AOg&list=UUVpOg64u0nozNP65AEyCh5Q&feature=share

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Well, I got a chance to get back in the garage and work on it. I think I found the problem.

:pat:

3800 problems...part 2 - YouTube

So not one bolt into the TC?

Epic_Facepalm_by_RJTH%255B1%255D.jpg

But we all do shit like that sometimes, good thing that you found it. You'll probably quadruple check that next time, lol

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Haha...no, I actually just pulled those out to see if the car still made the noise without the trans hooked up.

That's when I noticed the flexplate was loose on the crank!

Makes more sense, glad you found the issue. But yeah pulling the engine from the top isn't too bad at all. At Schlim garage, everything comes out and goes back in from the top.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
First cam install I did , for my own car, I forgot the swap the magnet over. Car started.. i drove it.. ran okish.. Luckly, just had to remove front cover, and was able to wiggle the magnet in behind. I blame it on the 8 hours i spend sanding the lump in my S1X cam down, so I could slide the rollmaster on it, and was so frazzled and pissed, i forgot the magnet. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info