Anyone got a spare 3800 starter?

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
My starter has had the random issue of just clicking sometimes when I first attempt to start it, then firing right up on the 2nd or 3rd attempt (once in a while, it took a lot more attempts than that) for a couple months now. With the hours I've been putting in on my new job, not to mention working from home quite often, I've had 0 time to look into replacing it.

Well...yesterday and this morning, I couldn't get her to start at all after 15+ minutes of trying (till my fingers lost all feeling). I live in an apartment complex (no garages), and the lot is covered in snow with the front of the car up against the sidewalk curb, so it's hard to get at it from underneath to hammer it. Tried to hit the starter from above with a crow bar, which wasn't very successful.

In any event, I will have to replace the starter, and I'd rather not spend the money on a new one if I can avoid it because I plan on getting rid of this car within the next few months. I'm just trying to limp it along till spring or summer. Since I don't have a way to get to the yard, I can't snag one from there at the moment. So I wanted to see if anyone might have a known functioning spare one laying around that they want to get rid of for fairly cheap.

...then I just got to figure out where I'm going to fix this thing, and how I'm going to get it there, but one thing at a time.

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Thanks a lot guys, but I broke down and bought a remaned one from Napa since I had to have the car running for work tomorrow. I was able to get someone to turn the ignition to on while I hammered the starter, and it actually fired up, so I took advantage while it was running to take it to his garage, and just swapped it out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info