A/C Compressor Clutch

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
My GTP's had an a/c clutch rattle off and on ever since I've owned it, going on 6 years now. It would come on intermittently but always go away. After it sat for a few months the rattle is more persistent, haven't driven it enough to see if it still goes away after a while.

Where I'm going with this is has anyone ever serviced the a/c clutch on a 3800 before? Looked up the repair procedure and it calls for pulling the compressor and using a bench vise and adapter to hold it down. I'd like to avoid that if possible, don't want to evac/recharge the freon due to extra cost (also don't want to vent it to the atmosphere). Also I don't want to remove the a/c off completely, it would negatively affect the resale of the car.

If anyone has any experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
youll unbolt it from the motor and let it hang/sit on a 1x4/screwdriver set across the subframe (dont set it on top of the aluminum trans cooler/return lines if you have em....unless you wanna replace em)

13mm nut holds the plate to the shaft, rent a ac clutch removal tool, thread it in the hub (its sorta an NPT thread) then tighten the center to remove the clutch,

youll have a 50/50 shot if you vent refrigerant...if you do the primary seals are shot, if you hurry at most youll just need to recharge a little, even if it empties it will still boil out for an hour, so you have that long before youll need to worry about moisture intrusion and subsequent drawdown of the system to full vac to remove the moisture.

once the disc is off, youll remove a snapring and slide the bearing/pulley off

behind it is the magnet, try not to damage it removing the pulley/bearing...if you have to replace it its not too expensive.

IROR

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
how the fuck are we gonna put all my useless little gems spread through all post into something coherent for the website?

it bottles the mind

Have you considered writing a series of 3800 memoirs?

sitting is almost worse for cars than use...

Completely agree. The two months it sat caused a whole slew of issues. Cars are like women, if you ignore them they'll have a breakdown, literally.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Is the rattle when the clutch is disengaged? And goes away when engaged?

I had this probelm on a 1998 Malibu 3100 V6. The pressure plate wasn't fully backing away when disengaged and would rub against the spinning clutch pulley. On a Ford, you can just unbolt it, put some shims (washers) behind it and it good to go. On a GM, you need to us a pressure plate puller. Don't remove the plate, just back it off a touch. This can be done without remove the compressor.

I rented the tool at Autozone. It looks like this, but I needed the complete tool kit as mine was an odd size.

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Is the rattle when the clutch is disengaged? And goes away when engaged?

I had this probelm on a 1998 Malibu 3100 V6. The pressure plate wasn't fully backing away when disengaged and would rub against the spinning clutch pulley. On a Ford, you can just unbolt it, put some shims (washers) behind it and it good to go. On a GM, you need to us a pressure plate puller. Don't remove the plate, just back it off a touch. This can be done without remove the compressor.

I rented the tool at Autozone. It looks like this, but I needed the complete tool kit as mine was an odd size.

Yeah, it does go away once the clutch is engaged. However last time I started the car, after it sat for a few months, the rattle persisted once the clutch engaged. I'll try your method first and see how it goes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info