So... the flywheels are different...

I just bought KayJay's Monte. Pulled the motor and stuffed it in my gtp.... Get most of the stuff hooked up and then come to find the holes for the felxplate don't line up... I thought hmmmm odd... maybe this isn't a bolt hole. so I rotated it to the next hole... nope. Gt Flexplate is different from the GTP, but only by about half a hole... I realllllllllly don't feel like re-pulling the motor to re-insert it. what do you think about taking the right angle drill and filling the holes into ovals so the bolts will go in.... I really don't see why it would be an issue

Yes you can oval them but be careful about it and it will be trial and error but the torque converter is registered by the center snout so as long as you can thread em in easy it will be fine

Btw there are two different torque converter patterns lol

I have the l26 pattern, with an l67 trans. The holes are like half way there, just need a little bit taken off the flexplate. or swap torque converters. It would be easier to swap converters than to swap flexplates lol

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have the l26 pattern, with an l67 trans. The holes are like half way there, just need a little bit taken off the flexplate. or swap torque converters. It would be easier to swap converters than to swap flexplates lol

How do you figure its easier to swap a converter rather then a flexplate? You can swap a flex plate with out completely removing the engine and trans

How do you figure its easier to swap a converter rather then a flexplate? You can swap a flex plate with out completely removing the engine and trans

If I were to swap something it would be easiest to leave everything hooked up, starter, ac compressor. and just jack the motor up enough to slip one converter out and slip the new one in... I have all the parts here to fix it right. It's just a matter of I don't feel like re-pulling the motor.

at any rate Dan, are you gonna be free on like tuesday or wednesday to help me throw a tune on this thing? My tuner went to marty

i reused flexplate bolts from 2 sets of used for the 5tp but i wouldnt recommend it for anyone else...
so swapping with a "hopefully" known good converter is the easier and cheaper method.

fuck gm flexplate bolts

My trans supposedly has 200k on it... original. The monte trans was rebuilt in 06, seemed to shift alright on the way home. granted it was shifting at 3500-3800 RPM the whole ride. I'm just guessing thats due to any number of wires that were chewed up or torn

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
If I were to swap something it would be easiest to leave everything hooked up, starter, ac compressor. and just jack the motor up enough to slip one converter out and slip the new one in... I have all the parts here to fix it right. It's just a matter of I don't feel like re-pulling the motor.

at any rate Dan, are you gonna be free on like tuesday or wednesday to help me throw a tune on this thing? My tuner went to marty

Option A
redrill the flexplate through starter opening

Option B
replace flexplate by separating the engine and trans, sliding the engine over as far as it will go and drop the damn thing out the bottom.

Option C
replace the converter. Please tell me how in the world that is going to be easier. I dont see how there is enough room unless you pull the engine or trans out all the way and then you are also going to deal with trans fluid spilling out when you remove the converter. You can not jack the engine up that freaking high with everything connected.

Option A
redrill the flexplate through starter opening

Option B
replace flexplate by separating the engine and trans, sliding the engine over as far as it will go and drop the damn thing out the bottom.

Option C
replace the converter. Please tell me how in the world that is going to be easier. I dont see how there is enough room unless you pull the engine or trans out all the way and then you are also going to deal with trans fluid spilling out when you remove the converter. You can not jack the engine up that freaking high with everything connected.
my converter has 200k miles.... the other one is from 2006. So thatsthat's another reason why iI dontdon't mind switching it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info