What happens when a 3800 blows?

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
So I was beatin on my car a little bit last night for my bday thinking :gives:

This morning I go start my car, pop the hood for no reason, and see that oil sprayed all over the hood and got all over the motor.

Car is running fine, no ticking or knocking, temps were normal for my 35 mile drive to work just now, but I know its motor oil cause I checked it yesterday, it was full, then seen this oil explosion under the hood, and now it was 1/2 down on the dipstick

any suggestions on what it could be? seemed like majority of the oil spray was around the back of the motor.

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
526858_10151807951510901_1932070830_n.jpg

1240492_10151807951665901_1034697494_n.jpg

994591_10151807951775901_1308470500_n.jpg

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
did you do any work recently in the last coule months?

where your describing isnt very likely unless you left the oil fill cap off or maybe its missing the sealing Oring

I did HV3, tune, downpipe, lowering kit all like 6 months ago. Had a cone filter on it before and just switched it to that crome intake tube piece yesterday. Couldnt imagine that having much to do with it.

Its too far back to be oil cap.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
look in between the rear VC and the rear of the LIM and look for an open bolt hole
i cant see it in the pic but if you remove and delete a couple "factory optional" brackets and shit that get into your way you can uncover one 10mm thread hole that can spray but i just saw your reply and im wondering if you reinstalled the cranckcase fresh air supply hose from the nipple behind the TB to the intake tube between the TB and maf

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
its capped and your building crankcase pressure at WOT and oil is probably spraying out around the VC gaskets as blowby pushes it all out.

that hose and nipple supply fresh metered air to the crankcase/pcv system....right now you only have the suction side working...
i suprized you dont hear a nice squal/screetch as air is sucked past the engine seals

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
its capped and your building crankcase pressure at WOT and oil is probably spraying out around the VC gaskets as blowby pushes it all out.

that hose and nipple supply fresh metered air to the crankcase/pcv system....right now you only have the suction side working...
i suprized you dont hear a nice squal/screetch as air is sucked past the engine seals

I should be fine to drill a new hole into the intake tube and re-install that breather hose and problem solved? or is there an alternative

I was looking at older gen grand prixs for DIY intakes and some of them just had a cone on the TB, no breather hose or maf.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the early cars have the passage internal to the TB, the DBW TB does not so the passage stops in the UIM and runs through a hose to a spot upstream of the TB blade and downstream of the MAF

on andy's 04 compG i just drilled and tapped the TB for a nipple so we didnt have to drill his intake tube so thats a viable option...hell im sure i have one on the shelf thats already drilled and tapped and just needs a 1/4npt to 3/8ths nipple and a hose

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
on andy's 04 compG i just drilled and tapped the TB for a nipple so we didnt have to drill his intake tube so thats a viable option...hell im sure i have one on the shelf thats already drilled and tapped and just needs a 1/4npt to 3/8ths nipple and a hose

Lemme know if you do and what you want for it. I'll keep that option in mind.

If IM doing the drilling though, I'd prefer it to be on a $8 intake tube vs. a $100+ throttle body

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i would rather have a fitting go into a 3 3/4" diam area than into a 3" dia tube

every little bit of airflow restriction hurts....ll check my bucket of TB's in a few

for now just remove the cap when driving it...it will idle like a slight vac leak but it will learn how to run just fine and youll no longer spray oil.

btw if you didnt hear a skreech with that capped and the oil appears to come from the VC edges then its time for VC gaskets

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
i would rather have a fitting go into a 3 3/4" diam area than into a 3" dia tube

every little bit of airflow restriction hurts....ll check my bucket of TB's in a few

for now just remove the cap when driving it...it will idle like a slight vac leak but it will learn how to run just fine and youll no longer spray oil.

btw if you didnt hear a skreech with that capped and the oil appears to come from the VC edges then its time for VC gaskets

What about those little mini cone breather filter things, couldn't I just put one of those on the nipple on the intake manifold and be fine?

RobFRC

C5, GTO, LSE.
TCG Premium
May 29, 2013
Bolingbrook
You will still be letting in un metered air into the engine and it will throw off your fuel trims. It's cheaper and better to just run a hose from the nipple to the air intake tube between the maf and throttle body

That'll be the plan then.

Thanks Turbocharged400sbc and smug. I'd be up a creek without a paddle without you guys and this forum.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info